× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Apple TV 2

Deno123
Follower

Apple TV 2

Hi there,

New here on this site and have a question about a ReadyNAS Duo..

Just wanted to know if I can stream contents directly from my NAS to an Apple TV 2, so I can watch it on my flatscreen TV??

Thanks in advance
Message 1 of 4
Singularity
Tutor

Re: Apple TV 2

This is my ultimate wish too.

I'm hoping that Apple release an App store for the ATV and then someone like Plex will provide a suitable Plex client for the ATV. Alternatively, you can jail break your ATV and install the Plex Client that way. You will need to install the PlexMediaServer on your Nas. Not too sure if its available for the Duo so you will need to check that out.

You can certainly stream from iTunes to your ATV but of course that means leaving your computer on. You could store your movies on your Nas and reference them via iTunes on your computer.

Also. if you have an iPad you can install the Plex client on that and then stream from your Nas to your iPad and then stream to your ATV using AirPlay.

Just one thought - Do you have a DNLA client on your flatscreen TV? If so then way to go...
Message 2 of 4
jelockwood1
Guide

Deno123 wrote:
Hi there,

New here on this site and have a question about a ReadyNAS Duo..

Just wanted to know if I can stream contents directly from my NAS to an Apple TV 2, so I can watch it on my flatscreen TV??

Thanks in advance

In terms of iTunes streaming, the ReadyNAS like all other NAS boxes uses the ancient and discontinued firefly (aka. mt-daap) software. This does not work with the Apple TV 2.

It is possible to install Plex Media Server on a Mac, or Windows, or Linux, or a ReadyNAS, but only x86 based ReadyNAS boxes and not your old Sparc based model.

You could then jailbreak your Apple TV 2 and install a Plex client on it to link to a Plex Media Server.
Message 3 of 4
Singularity
Tutor

Sorry I overlooked the fact you had a Duo.

I should have realised this as I have a Duo too.
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements