× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Automatic Expansion, Possibly bad new disk, NAS Unhappy

deploylinux
Aspirant

Automatic Expansion, Possibly bad new disk, NAS Unhappy

Received the final drive for my new R516 today configured in XRAID2 mode, put it into the 6th drive slot and expected the normal switch to automatic rebuild with no impact on operational status/stability....

However, the R516 web server immediately seemed to slow down, the volume page wouldn't load....I waited a few minutes, and then reloaded the page in my browser..received msg 'data offline' and return to loading screen for the webui...which wouldn't go away even after 5-10 minutes..I checked the NAS physically and it appeared like it might have rebooted...OK..

After a minutes more, I assumed the new drive must be bad....or somehow locking the system up, so I removed it...web ui immediately become responsive and loaded up, but with a msg that the volume was in degraded status and rebuilding, it asked that drive 6 be put back in...just to be sure, I put the drive back in. System continued to act like normal, but it appears the new drive wasn't being accessed. It was somehow assigned to a new 'data-1' volume which the gui asked me to delete. I did.

38hrs left in the current rebuild. Checking the disk info, I see that R516 shows normal smart and disk stats. No errors.

Btw, the disk is a Seagate 4GB Constellation ES.3, which is on the list of readynas supported drives. I've generally seen a very minimal failure rate for constellation ES drives in the past. What behavior should I expect from the NAS if this drive is a dud or somehow unreliable? I'm concerned that the webui went offline for a sustained period until I yanked the drive earlier.
Message 1 of 3
RX
Luminary
Luminary

Re: Automatic Expansion, Possibly bad new disk, NAS Unhappy

You may want to run an Extended disk test on drive 6 (Seagate 4GB Constellation ES.3) using Seagate SeaTools or WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostics for Windows. Check these links below:

http://www.seagate.com/as/en/support/do ... in-master/
http://support.wdc.com/product/download ... =612&sid=3
Message 2 of 3
deploylinux
Aspirant

Re: Automatic Expansion, Possibly bad new disk, NAS Unhappy

Well, no point, the R516 just marked the drive as 'failed' and without the UI crashing. The rest of the drives are doing their job rebuilding. Sending the drive back.
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements