× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Backing Up Via Direct Connect To PC?

PeteCress
Apprentice

Backing Up Via Direct Connect To PC?

Got an old WSH box that I use for backups of my ReadyNAS 6.

I would like to back over a dedicated ethernet cable running from NAS' port #2 to a second NIC in the WSH box.

To that end, I cobbled together a crossover cable, inserted the extra NIC, and Windows Home Server's "Network Connections" shows the connection as "Connected, Firewalled".

Two Questions:

• Is this a total waste of time? I am assuming that dedicated wire will be faster than my dinky 100 mbps LAN.

• Assuming it's worth doing, what's next? Seems like I need to do something in Windows Home Sever to establish a new network over that dedicated cable before I can transfer any data.

I tried the "Add Network Place" wiz, but when I put the Ultra-6's IP addr into it's "What is the address of this network place?" dialog, it isn't having any of it "The folder you entered does not appear to be valid. Please choose another."
Message 1 of 3
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Backing Up Via Direct Connect To PC?

No need for crossover cable, ordinary ethernet cable will work fine.

1. Gigabit (1000 Mbps) connection will be faster than 100 Mbps

2. You'll need to ensure that the dedicated NIC on each device have IP addresses in the same subnet and identical subnet address.

e.g. if normal network used 192.168.0.x, you might use 192.168.168.x for the dedicated connections. In fact 192.168.168.168 is the default IP for the ReadyNAS when it can't detect a DHCP server to assign IP addresses to it.

Then for your backup jobs use the IP address as the hostname to make sure it uses the dedicated connection.
Message 2 of 3
PeteCress
Apprentice

Re: Backing Up Via Direct Connect To PC?

[quote="mdgm"
2. You'll need to ensure that the dedicated NIC on each device have IP addresses in the same subnet and identical subnet address.
e.g. if normal network used 192.168.0.x, you might use 192.168.1.x for the dedicated connections and possibly a different subnet.
Then for your backup jobs use the IP address as the hostname to make sure it uses the dedicated connection.[/quote]
Got it. Thanks!
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements