× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Backup Job on Ultra

whartonw
Guide

Backup Job on Ultra

@StephenB 

@Sandshark  

Can you point me somewhere that explains the proper format for the name of a computer from which I am trying to backup to the Ultra NAS, running 4.2.31.  I have tried the computer's name, it's IP address as assigned by the router, its MAC address, all with all sorts of variations of slashes, dashes, and various astrological symbols.  ReadyNAS doesn't like any of them, or at least says there are problems connecting.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Wharton

Model: RNDU4000|ReadyNAS Ultra 4 Chassis only
Message 1 of 15

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Memory Module Specs for Ultra 4

200 pin.  667 (PC2-5300) and 800 (PC2-6400) mhz both work.  I don't know the speed of the stock RAM (never owned an Ultra) - you could open up your unit can google on the part that you currently have installed.

View solution in original post

Message 14 of 15

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Re: Backup Job on Ultra

If you are using Windows backup, then you need to create a network share on the PC (for the folder you want to back up).

Message 2 of 15
whartonw
Guide

@StephenB 

Trying to be brief, I left out relevant details.  Apologies.

I'd like to use a backup job on the Ultra to pull a copy of data from a Mac computer.  In setting up the job, I am running into problems pointing the Ultra to the Mac.  I don't have any trouble pushing from the Mac to the Utra, and I don't have any trouble with my 424 pulling from eiher the Mac or Windows machine.  This is the first time I've tried to pull with the Ultra (or any OS 4 NAS); clearly the naming/addresses conventions are not the same.

Thanks.

Wharton

Message 3 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@whartonw wrote:

This is the first time I've tried to pull with the Ultra (or any OS 4 NAS); clearly the naming/addresses conventions are not the same.\

I am thinking it's more likely that the Mac SMB server doesn't include SMB 1 (which is what 4.2.x NAS use).

See if you can set up the share to use NFS.

Message 4 of 15
whartonw
Guide

@StephenB 

I recently read that there's evidence that SMB causes problems with Mac Big Sur.  Maybe SMB is the entire problem.

Thanks.

ww

Message 5 of 15
Sandshark
Sensei

You best bet may be converting the Ultra to run OS6.

Message 6 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@Sandshark wrote:

Agreed, though NFS might get past the immediate challenge.

Message 7 of 15
whartonw
Guide

@StephenB wrote:

@Sandshark wrote:

Agreed, though NFS might get past the immediate challenge.

You are probably right.  I am so gun-shy; from all the problems I've had with the 424, and essentially no issues with 3 units running OS4, I'm afraid to convert another one to OS6. 

I believe I can push backups to the Ultra, so I think I'll try that first.

Many thanks, @Sandshark and @StephenB   You two are a great resource.

Wharton W

Message 8 of 15
whartonw
Guide

@Sandshark 

Hey.

I'm still wrestling with minor issues on the Ultra machine, to the point that I think I'll try converting it to OS6 (I think I need to get away from SMB from Big Sur).

Now I cannot find the how-to's for the conversion. They are in here somewhere, and I even think you sent me a link one time, but I've done multiple seaches to no avail.  

Can you please aim me one more time?  I promise to do a better job of saving this time.

I am in your debt.

ww

Message 9 of 15
whartonw
Guide

@StephenB 

Hey.  My frustrations have led me to the point that I am ready to try converting my Ultra to OS6.

It appears that you are the only source for the necessary files.  Would you mind sending them along, please...but I can't figure out how to send/receive personal messages.  (I can't tell you how much it bothers me to need so much hand-holding)

Thanks.

ww

Message 10 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@whartonw wrote:

It appears that you are the only source for the necessary files.  Would you mind sending them along, please...but I can't figure out how to send/receive personal messages.  (I can't tell you how much it bothers me to need so much hand-holding)

I'm not the only source, but I have posted the links several times.

The steps are

(Optionally) make sure the latest BIOS is installed before you do the conversion.  To do this you install  http://www.readynas.com/download/addons/x86/4.2/BIOS_Update_Package_0.5-x86.bin as an add-on and reboot the NAS.  Do this after you backup the NAS.  This isn't necessary, but if you so want to update the bios it is easiest to do it prior to conversion

Basic instructions for the conversion itself are

1. BACKUP, BACKUP, BACKUP
  2. Upload PREPR4TOR6_0.1-x86.bin as an add-on using the ReadyNAS web gui, but do not reboot afterwards (avoids the need to do manual factory resets)
  3. Upload R4toR6_6.9.5.bin using the ReadyNAS web gui firmware update
  4. After you upload the addon+firmware and reboot, it will update the firmware and start a factory default.
  5. Go through the setup process on the converted NAS 
  6. Update the NAS to the current OS 6 (check for updates will work).
  7. Restore files from the backup.

Netgear won't provide paid support on a converted NAS, so that is one consideration.  There is a small risk that the process could fail, and if that were to happen it might not be possible to get the NAS running again.

If you do decide to convert the Ultra, then you should also consider increasing the RAM to 2 GB.  Shipping OS-6 NAS have at least 2 GB of RAM, a stock Ultra only has 1 GB.  Several folks have run into out-of-memory conditions with their converted NAS. The upgrade is inexpensive, and is simple to do. 

Message 11 of 15
whartonw
Guide

@StephenB 

Thanks!

Has anyone told you today you are a good guy?!

ww

Message 12 of 15
whartonw
Guide

Memory Module Specs for Ultra 4

@StephenB

"DDR2 SODIMM RAM" doesn't appear to be a sufficient spec for a 2GB memory module, but that's the only spec I have managed to find.  This is in the hdw manual for the unit.

200 pin?  Unbuffered? 800 or 667MHz?  Anything else?

Thanks

ww

Model: ReadyNAS-Ultra 4|ReadyNAS-Ultra 4
Message 13 of 15
StephenB
Guru

200 pin.  667 (PC2-5300) and 800 (PC2-6400) mhz both work.  I don't know the speed of the stock RAM (never owned an Ultra) - you could open up your unit can google on the part that you currently have installed.

Message 14 of 15
Sandshark
Sensei

It's basic PC RAM -- unbuffered, non-ECC.

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements