× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Backup errors due to the use of diacritics in filename?

gazzpacho
Aspirant

Hi,

I'm backing up a few shares from my Readyshare NV+ to a usb disk which is attached to my router. The backup job generates some fifty error messages that look like the following:

cp: cannot create directory '/job_002//Docs/Michael/Foto´s': Input/output error './Michael/Malaag/files/Tips diëtiste.doc' -> '/job_002//Documenten/./Michael/Malaag/files/Tips diëtiste.doc'
cp: cannot create regular file '/job_002//Michael/Malaag/files/Tips diëtiste.doc': Permission denied './Michael/Malaag/files/Tips diëtiste.doc' -> '/job_002//Documenten/Michael/Malaag/files/Tips diëtiste.doc'

The silimarity in all the error messages is the fact that the filename has a strange character in it. The actual filename in the example above is 'Tips diëtiste.doc'. All filenames that generate errors have a á, à, ä, ë or another diacritic. It seems the backup routine has problems with these, because it translates the 'ë' into 'ë'?

Does anyone have a clue on this?

Best regards,

Josh
Message 1 of 5
gazzpacho
Aspirant

Re: Backup errors due to the use of diacritics in filename?

It's definately a diacritics issue: I made a new share and put 2 files in it: justafilename.txt and jüstafílenäme.txt. The first one back-upped perfectly with Frontview, the second one gave the permission error.
There must be other users with the same problem, I guess?

Best regards,
Josh
Message 2 of 5
sphardy1
Apprentice

How is the backup disk formatted? I'm guessing fat32 which can cause issues due to character set limitations

Try ext3 - I have similarly named files and no such issues with ext3 formatted USB drives
Message 3 of 5
gazzpacho
Aspirant

Hi Sphardy,

Thanks for the info. It's a NTFS drive, so that should not be a problem.
I went the easy way and used a diacritics removal tool to alter all problematic filenames. Works like charm now.

Best regards,
Josh
Message 4 of 5
lightsabre
Guide

This error happens with other 'special' characters as well. Today I had a filename with an em dash. FrontView Backup does not like these, and hasn't for some time (a previous update worked fine; seemed to break in 4.1.7).
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements