× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Backup strategy for readynas 516 not involving another NAS

nudist
Aspirant

Backup strategy for readynas 516 not involving another NAS

I've owned three readynas devices over the past 10 years  and have avoided any major disasters  so far.  They say that when you back up your data that you should  back up regularly store off site.  So my question is this!  Is there a cost-effective, low-cost yet reliable solution for backing up the 4 -5 TB of data on my device that doesn't involve backing another raid device.  I did buy a FireWire drive a few years back but it topped out at 2 TB.  I'm wondering if someone could recommend  a device that is reliable but doesn't come with a cost premium for data availability  and redundancy that a raid device encompasses.  I notice on the back of the NAS there is a port for a LUN.  Could  this point me towards my backup strategy ?

Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
cpu8088
Virtuoso

Re: Backup strategy for readynas 516 not involving another NAS

there are archive grade large capacity hard drives. eg wd Ae 6tb

u may get an external hard drive enclosure with usb3 connection to house the hd and plug into the usb3 port at back of nas.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
cpu8088
Virtuoso

Re: Backup strategy for readynas 516 not involving another NAS

there are archive grade large capacity hard drives. eg wd Ae 6tb

u may get an external hard drive enclosure with usb3 connection to house the hd and plug into the usb3 port at back of nas.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements