× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Backup to ReadyNAS behind router in windows 7

tgor
Aspirant

Backup to ReadyNAS behind router in windows 7

Hello all,

I have been using a ReadyNAS NVX system for sometime now, and have been really happy with it. It is set up behind a router, and I am able to use ftp, https or readynas remote to access my shares. Then, I saw this article about accessing ReadyNAS simply by typing in the ip address or hostname into the windows explorer. I'd like to use this to backup my computer to the ReadyNAS using Windows Backup.
http://www.readynas.com/?p=127
I gave it a try from my laptop running windows 7 64-bit, but no luck. I try to enter \\IP:port\ or \\IP\ and I get an error "Windows cannot access \\IP:port\, etc."
What am I doing wrong? Do I need to adjust settings to allow this type of connection, or is there a problem with the router?

Thank you for your help.
Message 1 of 4
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Backup to ReadyNAS behind router in windows 7

What version of Windows 7 64-bit (e.g. Professional)?

Is the NVX in the same workgroup as your client PC?

Can you see it when browsing your network?
Message 2 of 4
StephenB
Guru

Also is CIFS enabled on the ReadyNAS?
Message 3 of 4
tgor
Aspirant

Hi, sorry for the late reply, I didn't receive an email indicating your response.

I am using Windows 7 64-bit professional.

I guess the issue is, I'd like to access ReadyNAS from anywhere using my laptop. So, I have the RAID system in location A behind a router (that's why I need the port number), then I want to access from generic location B to do a backup.

Based on your response, it seems like the CIFS access will only work if I'm on the same network as the RAID system.

Thanks for your help. I think I will try to use DeltaCopy or windows backup agent instead.
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements