× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Backups Failing - Unable to Access Remote Path

cwiebe
Aspirant

Backups Failing - Unable to Access Remote Path

I thought I had it figured out, I was wrong. All backup jobs are failing. Test connection is successful.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
INCREMENTAL Backup started. Thu Nov 20 04:45:54 PST 2014

Job: Documents Cliff
Protocol: cifs
Source: //I5/c/users/cliff/documents
Destination: [ReadyNAS_C]/backups/Cliff/Documents

Backup failed. Thu Nov 20 04:45:58 PST 2014.

Reason for failure:
Unable to access remote path //I5/c/users/cliff/documents.
Message 1 of 7
StephenB
Guru

Re: Backups Failing - Unable to Access Remote Path

If I5 is a windows machine, then you'd need to share the documents folder. On the windows side, you can only share your library folders (like documents) with your homegroup.

There might be a workaround to allow the NAS to access it, I am not sure. Personally I run my backups on the Windows machine, where this problem doesn't occur.
Message 2 of 7
cwiebe
Aspirant

Sorry, yes it's a Windows folder. I have advanced sharing turned on, and the userid / password pair have access to all drives on the Windows PC and that PC is accessible from all other PC''s on the network. The test connection button is successful.

If the entire Drive C: is shared, do I still need to share the documents folder as well?

The ReadyNas has a backup function, it's a great central location to manage the backups. Does the backup function work?
Message 3 of 7
StephenB
Guru

The backup function works. There are however scenarios where "test connection" succeeds and the actual backup fails. There are also some cases where the backup succeeds and
"test connection" fails.

Are your windows systems all Win 7 or later? Are all the systems in the same homegroup?

Also, can you browse this folder from another windows machine when you enter "\\I5\c\users\cliff\documents" in windows explorer?
Message 4 of 7
cwiebe
Aspirant

Yes, the cliff/documents folder is accessible from any other PC on the LAN.

Not sure if this is related. I just tried to remove the folder on the Duo share. \\readynas\readynas_c\backups\driverbackup

I'm getting an error popup box: File Access Denied. You require permission from Unix User\root to make changes to this folder.
Message 5 of 7
cwiebe
Aspirant

Considering the drive had nothing on it. I decided to restore factory settings.

From the system menu, I did a restore Factory settings.

Now, the ReadyNAS won't come online. Any suggestions to resurrect the box is appreciated.
Message 6 of 7
cwiebe
Aspirant

I resolved the problem. It's a very common problem, I'm surprised Netgear doesn't have a kb article describing a fix.

How to resolve for Win7 Pro:
You need to enable clear text password (The plain text version of an encrypted password.) on a Windows machine if you need to access shared folders (using SAMBA) or server access to a UNIX / LINUX server
These are the steps:
Open Control Panel
Open Administrative Tools and select Local Security Policy
click on Local Policies (left Pane)
click on Security Options (Left Pane)
Click on “Microsoft Network client Send unencrypted password to 3rd party SMB servers” (right pane)
Select the Enabled radio button and click OK
You are done!
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements