× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Backups not completing SInce update to 6.9.0 (ReadyNAS 424)

TheDoctor165
Aspirant

Backups not completing SInce update to 6.9.0 (ReadyNAS 424)

I have my readynas 424 setup to email me errors.   Since 28 Oct 2017 at midnight I keep getting "Backup job {JobName} is already in progress. Consider adjusting backup schedule."

I have 8 such messages each night at midnight for the 8 backups I i am trying to do nightly at midnight.  I have had my ReadyNAS 424 for about 3-4 months and these backups have  worked errorlessly (unless I left a file open like Quickbooks), until I updated to version 6.9.0 on the 27th.  The last backup in status for all 8 marked successful was the 27th. However instead of the status block ending with "successful"... one backup had the following additional lines present....

Copy File  Intuit/QuickBooks/Company Files/My Company/NAQB2013/DownloadQB23/Message/.update/.LastUpdate
Copy File  Intuit/QuickBooks/Company Files/My Company/NAQB2013/DownloadQB23/Message/.update/.target/0/tcPingRs.xml
Copy File  Intuit/QuickBooks/Company Files/My Company/NAQB2013/DownloadQB23/Message/.update/.target/0/tcresponse.xml
Copy File  Intuit/QuickBooks/Company Files/My Company/NAQB2013/DownloadQB23/PAYSUB.INI
Copy File  Intuit/QuickBooks/Company Files/My Company/NAQB2013/DownloadQB23/PayValidation/.update/.LastUpdate
Copy File  Intuit/QuickBooks/Company Files/My Company/NAQB2013/NuAJEPlastic Works.QBW
Copy File  Intuit/QuickBooks/Company Files/My Company/NAQB2013/NuAJEPlastic Works.QBW.ND
Copy File  Intuit/QuickBooks/Company Files/My Company/NAQB2013/NuAJEPlastic Works.QBW.TLG
Copy File  Intuit/QuickBooks/Company Files/My Company/NAQB2013/NuAJEPlastic Works.lgb
Copy File  Intuit/QuickBooks/Company Files/My Company/NAQB2016/DownloadQB26/Message/.update/.LastUpdate
Copy File  Intuit/QuickBooks/Company Files/My Company/NAQB2016/DownloadQB26/Message/.update/.target/0/tcPingRs.xml
Copy File  Intuit/QuickBooks/Company Files/My Company/NAQB2016/DownloadQB26/Message/.update/.target/0/tcresponse.xml
Copy File  Intuit/QuickBooks/Company Files/My Company/NAQB2016/DownloadQB26/PayValidation/.update/.LastUpdate
Copy File  Intuit/QuickBooks/Company Files/My Company/NAQB2016/DownloadQB26/UsageStudy/.update/.LastUpdate

Thinking that perhaps these files were locked and the backup somehow "stuck" on them, I hit "cancel" on the settings wheel next to the backups where statuses were still "processing".  This changed the status to cancelling, then cancelled.  I assume this normal behavior.   I then shut down the ReadNAS 424, all computers attached to the network, and all servers attached to the network and rebooted everything.  Now... unfortunately, whenever I try to "start" another backup (always worked before)... the status goes to starting and directly to cancelled???  The log shows no indication that a backup was tried.

How do I get my backups working again... Any help is gratefully appreciated.

Message 1 of 6
Kimera
Guide

Re: Backups not completing SInce update to 6.9.0 (ReadyNAS 424)

Follow, as example, this other related thread.

It should be fixed actually (if you want for speed up the hot-fixing process perform a ReadyNAS reboot and wait at least 15 or 20' after that, then test affected ReadyNAS affected Backup Jobs by manually starting them...I did that and it worked).

Message 2 of 6
TheDoctor165
Aspirant

Sorry... but still not working... I tried to download the latest firm ware, but "Check for Updates" indicated my system is running the latest software.  If there is some "hot fix" it is not installing.  The backup still rolls to "cancelled" immediately.

Message 3 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@TheDoctor165 wrote:

Sorry... but still not working... I tried to download the latest firm ware, but "Check for Updates" indicated my system is running the latest software.  If there is some "hot fix" it is not installing.  The backup still rolls to "cancelled" immediately.

It is a hot fix that patches 6.9.0 (and the firmware version will not change).  If you want it applied ASAP you need to reboot the NAS and then wait about 15 minutes for it to be downloaded and applied.   Did you do that?

Message 4 of 6
Kimera
Guide

@TheDoctor165 wrote:

Hot Fixes aren't applied using the traditional "Check for Updates" method...so, if you read the thread I linked above, you will discover (as I really did) that ReadyNAS OS Hot Fixes follow another way...and their deployment is automatic under some conditions (15' after a reboot or once a Week, clearly - on both cases - if an Hot Fix is really available from Netgear delivery network): you can check the actual level of Hot Fix patching on your ReadyNAS if you perform some commands that were discussed on that thread.

So, all of that what does it mean? it means that you can have ReadyNAS 6.9.0 and checking for a ReadyNAS OS update reports nothing BUT the Hot Fix patching level will report that your NAS is really at 6.9.0-2 or 6.9.0-3 or 6.9.0-4.

Message 5 of 6
TheDoctor165
Aspirant

So for me, I had to "Shutdown" to get the hot fix to install.  Tried twice "rebooting", but kept having the same problem (rebooted then went on deliveries... so long time after reboot before I tried again).  With "shutdown", everything seem to fix itself and backup working again.... thanx!

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements