× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Beta release 6.5 firmware

Digital999
Luminary

Beta release 6.5 firmware

I have been sitting on a PO for 56 ReadyNAS systems since last December.

There has been a documented issue with system backup to USB drives that prevents deployment.  There has been a promise to fix that issue in the 'next release' -- 6.5.

The 6.5 Beta is available but our company policy prohibits running beta software and the admonishment that support is not avialable for system running beta software causes us to wait until an official release. 

My management is irritated and almost ready to go to a different vendor. 

Is there any notion of when version 6.5 will actually be released?

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
Digital999
Luminary

Re: Beta release 6.5 firmware

The firmware release has corrected the symptons of the problem -- the Administrative console is no longer locked up during a USB backup.

Of secondary note is the fact that several of our previously defined backup jobs would not work -- kept getting a failure message.

I deleted the jobs and recreated them and now they work. 

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 8

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

They've announced the new readycloud in "early may", and that requires 6.5 to be released.  It's at RC3 now.

Note I don't work for Netgear.

Message 2 of 8
Digital999
Luminary

Hello StephenB.  Thanks for the reply.

I was hoping for Netgear to say something but alas silence.

Seven months, known bug, customrer that wants to buy a bunch of systems and silence.  Sort of sad.

Message 3 of 8
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hope you had a good weekend.

We are expecting to release ReadyNAS OS 6.5.0 in early/mid May. As always if a last minute issue crops up that really needs to be fixed urgently that can delay it. Thanks for your patience.

There is a known performance issue when using NTFS on USB disks that is fixed in 6.5.0 and the feedback we've been getting on the community for this fix has been very positive. Is this the issue you were referring to or a different one?

Support isn't available where a user chooses to run 6.5.0 Beta and then contacts support. Support is designed for troubleshooting issues encountered on production firmware. If support suggests trying beta firmware then that is different.

If you install the beta firmware you can seek help on the community from e.g. myself. Sometimes an engineer (at his discretion) that is in the software/hardware development team may even seek to have a look at a system.

Message 4 of 8
Digital999
Luminary

Thank you for your reply. 

The issue that has delayed our purchase is backing up data using RSYNC to a USB attached disk drive.

During that backup the Administrative console interface is essentially locked and there is no ability to view the ReacyNAS device.  The problem has been acknowledged and there is an open case that remains unresolved.  Support personnel keep saying it will 'be fixed in a future release'.  I was asked if I would close the case but I declined that opportunity.  Unless the case is open apparently nothing gets done. 

In reviewinng the fixes in 6.5 there is no mention of this issue. 

Obviously we cannot field deploy devices that essentially lock up during a backup procedure. 

So I wait patiently, management is not so patient.

Message 5 of 8
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

There is a fix for the admin page being inaccessible during a USB backup job in 6.5.0. I have reviewed the internal case notes and our bug system and it is fixed in 6.5.0 Beta 2 (and later) and you were advised to install the beta firmware but you chose not to which is your choice. There is nothing more we can do to troubleshoot the issue till you provide feedback on the fix in 6.5.0 (in the unlikely event you still have a problem with this on that firmware).

Message 6 of 8
kohdee
NETGEAR Expert

6.5.0 now released. 

Message 7 of 8
Digital999
Luminary

The firmware release has corrected the symptons of the problem -- the Administrative console is no longer locked up during a USB backup.

Of secondary note is the fact that several of our previously defined backup jobs would not work -- kept getting a failure message.

I deleted the jobs and recreated them and now they work. 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements