× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Bit Rot Protection and Home Folders

pec967
Luminary

Bit Rot Protection and Home Folders

Can bit rot protection be enabled on Home folders in OS 6.4.x? Unlike shared folders, there is not a check box to enable bit rot protection on Home folders.

I replaced a ReadyNAS Duo v1 with a RN312 in a RAID 1 configuration last year for home use. I only use the RN312 for user backups, and these backup files are written to folders in the users' Home folders. I then use ReadyNAS Vault to provide an off-site backup. I would like to enable bit rot protection since many of the photos and music files in these incremental backups are static. Perhaps I need to create shared folders and then adjust the permissions to only allow access by the individual users?

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
OOM-9
NETGEAR Expert

Re: Bit Rot Protection and Home Folders

The home folders have the bitrot protection option enabled at all times. The "Protection" option that you see for the individual users is the snapshot option for that specific user.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@pec967 wrote:

. Perhaps I need to create shared folders and then adjust the permissions to only allow access by the individual users?

That's what I'd do.  

Message 2 of 6
pec967
Luminary

Thanks for your advice.

Because it will be lots of work to reconfigure all the backup jobs and ReadyNAS Vault backups to use the new shared folder with Bit Rot protection turned on, it would be nice to know if Home folders do indeed support Bit Rot protection. In my set up notes for the RN312, I show that I configured the Home folders with "protection," but I have an additional note that it was not clear what that meant. My assumption at the time was that it meant Bit Rot protection.

Message 3 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@pec967 wrote:

Thanks for your advice.

Because it will be lots of work to reconfigure all the backup jobs and ReadyNAS Vault backups to use the new shared folder with Bit Rot protection turned on, it would be nice to know if Home folders do indeed support Bit Rot protection. In my set up notes for the RN312, I show that I configured the Home folders with "protection," but I have an additional note that it was not clear what that meant. My assumption at the time was that it meant Bit Rot protection.

I suspect "protection" does mean "bitrot protection" - hopefully Netgear will clarify.

In general I think it's a bit easier to backup/restore shares than it is to backup/restore individual home folders, and the gui won't let you reset permissions.  So my overall thinking is that they are more trouble than they are worth for home users.  Business use cases are quite different though.  OS 6.4.x is better than previous firmware in this regard, but home folders still are harder to manage. 

Message 4 of 6
OOM-9
NETGEAR Expert

The home folders have the bitrot protection option enabled at all times. The "Protection" option that you see for the individual users is the snapshot option for that specific user.
Message 5 of 6
pec967
Luminary

OOM-9,

Music to my ears, thank you for clearing this up!

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements