× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Blocked and accessible shares (having the same settings)

Sh0cK
Aspirant

Blocked and accessible shares (having the same settings)

Hello everyone,
I’ve encountered a strange phenomeen, and I seem not to be able to fix it by myself.
The NAS is connected to an internal network. From every PC on this network I’m able to access the NAS through explorer, the default filemanager (CIFS). I just type \\nas\ in any folder. I login as an admin, and I get access to all shares on the NAS. With an exception.

When I login on the server (with OS Windows 2003) to the NAS, I don’t see c:/, which I do see on any other pc. I also have access to only 2 of the 4 shares. For the other two I’m asked for a password, but none seems to work. Not as any user, and not the admin password and username. I’ve tried making new shares, but these are blocked as well.
After trying to login, the c:/ folder appears, but is blocked as well.

I’ve compared all the settings of the shares but without success. Only difference is that the two folders contain an underscore, but I’ve tried creating a new share without, with the same results.
Standardaccess is set to disabled. Users or groups are added with writing permissions. Oplocks is enabled. No other customized settings .

Specs:
Model: ReadyNAS Pro 4
Firmware: RAIDiator 4.2.19

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Samir
Message 1 of 6
StephenB
Guru

Re: Blocked and accessible shares (having the same settings)

By default, Windows presents the Windows Logon credentials to the NAS. If the user name doesn't match anything on the NAS, then you end up with guest access.

On the other hand, if the user name is configured on the NAS, then you need to use the NAS password for that user to get any access at all.

On the PCs where you do see a C share, you are certainly using admin credentials for the NAS.

You can adjust the default behavior of Windows by going into the control panel. There's a credentials manager there which lets you set the username/password that you want Windows to use when connecting to the NAS. The details of how to launch the credentials manager varies, depending on which version of Windows you have.
Message 2 of 6
Sh0cK
Aspirant

Hm, can't add a new one.
I'm asked for the server, user and password.

I tried the following:
Server: //nas/
User: admin

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!
Message 3 of 6
StephenB
Guru

Sh0cK wrote:
Hm, can't add a new one...
Sorry - I am not clear on what you are adding.
-a new nas?
-a new share on an existing nas?
-setting up a new PC to access the existing NAS?
Message 4 of 6
Sh0cK
Aspirant

No, new login information in the 'credential manager'.
I entered the following:
server: //nas/
user: admin
Message 5 of 6
StephenB
Guru

The server should just be nas (no slashes)
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements