× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Boot menu disk test in pass 13 after 11 hours - how long to go ?

Exibag
Aspirant

Boot menu disk test in pass 13 after 11 hours - how long to go ?

I am currently running the boot menu disk test for over 12 hours. No errors are reported in the front display. It's in pass 14 at the moment . 

Does this automatically boot afterwards ? How many more passes are there ?

I initiated the test after it reported 2 disk failures ( the 2 original 1tb ones which came with device in 2009 ) . However it worked fine up to that point, when I started to wonder why I couldn't write and only read volumes.

oddly now the disk test seems clean, but it doesn't come back either and just continues to test.

any tips, shared experiences are appreciated.

many thx

exibag

Model: ReadyNASRNDX4210|ReadyNAS NVX
Message 1 of 7
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Boot menu disk test in pass 13 after 11 hours - how long to go ?

I think on that OS the disk test may run in a loop till you stop it. Not sure though.

Perhaps you could power it on normally and download the logs zip file and send that in to me (see the Sending Logs link in my sig)?

Which firmware are you running?

Message 2 of 7
Exibag
Aspirant

thanks. I pressed the power button, which then shut it down immediately. I since rebooted and am back to square one, ie 2 disk report as dead.  No volumes accessible.

Oddly though as mentioned before, it ran the disk test for 16passes for over 12hours not reporting *any* errors.

Thanks for the offer with the logs. I am sending them through shortly.  I am about to buy a pair of new disks ( amazon has the WD RED WD40EFRX on same day delivery).

The next question then is whether this will be of much help and if I swap out a single disk, whether it would start rebuilding the new one given its reporting  2 disks  as dead now ... .

I am running  RAIDiator 4.2.27 .

The logs post reboot after the 12h+ disk scan:

Sun Sep 4 09:57:30 WEST 2016Disk 1 did not pass SMART self-assessment test. Please replace this disk as soon as possible. ATA error count has increased in the last day. Disk 2: Previous count: 357 Current count: 364 Disk 2 did not pass SMART self-assessment test. Please replace this disk as soon as possible. Growing SMART errors indicate a disk that may fail soon. If the errors continue to increase, you should be prepared to replace the disk.
 Sun Sep 4 09:57:08 WEST 2016System is up.
 Sun Sep 4 09:57:07 WEST 2016The paths for the shares listed below could not be found. Typically, this occurs when the ReadyNAS is unable to access the data volume. share media backup cctv
 Sun Sep 4 09:56:47 WEST 2016Volume scan found errors that it could not easily correct. Please ensure that you have current backups of all valuable data before performing a full volume scan by rebooting the NAS through Frontview with the volume scan option enabled.
Message 3 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@Exibag wrote:

I am about to buy a pair of new disks ( amazon has the WD RED WD40EFRX on same day delivery).

The next question then is whether this will be of much help and if I swap out a single disk, whether it would start rebuilding the new one given its reporting  2 disks  as dead now ... .

You could use per-incident netgear support (though it likely will escalate to data recovery, which is expensive).

If the failed disks can be read, then it might be possible to "clone" them to the replacement drives.  There would probably be some data corruption (since it is unlikely that eveything on the old disks can be read).  You'd do this on a different machine, and then try powering up the NAS with the cloned drives in place.

Message 4 of 7
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I agree with StephenB. Clearly from looking at the logs multiple disks are bad.

Message 5 of 7
Exibag
Aspirant

I definetely looks that way. I am still wondering why the boot menu disk test doesnt report any errors though, and ran successfully over the disks pass after pass. 

Message 6 of 7
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The logs certainly show that some disks failed SMART tests.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements