× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Booting forever

rbrink
Aspirant

Booting forever

I'm in the process of upgrading from 4.2.31 to 6.x though this is an unsupported process. My issue is the process appears to be stuck. It has been sitting at "Booting 92%" for almost 45 minutes. Anyone have an idea or suggetion? Would it be harmful if I were to just power it down and restart it to see if it would boot up?

Model: RNDP6000|ReadyNAS Pro 6 Chassis only
Message 1 of 5
StephenB
Guru

Re: Booting forever

@rbrink wrote:

I'm in the process of upgrading from 4.2.31 to 6.x though this is an unsupported process. My issue is the process appears to be stuck. It has been sitting at "Booting 92%" for almost 45 minutes. Anyone have an idea or suggetion? Would it be harmful if I were to just power it down and restart it to see if it would boot up?

Can you tell us exactly what steps you performed?

Message 2 of 5
rbrink
Aspirant

I uploaded the 6.9.5 FW upgrade and started the process. I then had to reboot (message). After rebooting it started the FW upgrade and it stuck at 92%. After waiting almost an hour I shut it off and powered back on. This time it stalled at 46%. I repeated the same steps and it got to 98%. This time I started the boot menu and decided to do a factory reset since I haven't stored any data yet. It came right up after a few minutes. I ran RAIDar and after connecting it showed the OS at 6.9.5. Once I logged onto the server and went through the basic setup steps I was prompted with a message that there was an update available (6.10.4).  The process bar is almost competed, with fingers crossed I should be at the latest/greatest. Thanks for the responses.

Model: RNDP6000|ReadyNAS Pro 6 Chassis only
Message 3 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@rbrink wrote:

This time I started the boot menu and decided to do a factory reset since I haven't stored any data yet.

Did you install prepr4tor6_0.1-x86.bin as an add-on first?  Then install the firmware (as a manual update) and reboot?

prepr4tor6 eliminates the need to do a manual factory reset, but if you omit that step you definitely have to do the factory reset through the boot menu.

Message 4 of 5
Sandshark
Sensei

If that really is all you did, you didn't first load PREP4TOR6_0.1-x86.bin, then you need to do a factory default.  That will, of course, erase everything on your drives, which I hope you realized going in was going to happen.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements