× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can't Figure Out How to Set Up Remote Access to my Ultra 2

a0128958
Aspirant

Can't Figure Out How to Set Up Remote Access to my Ultra 2

Hi. I have owned a ReadyNAS Ultra 2 for the past 3 years. I now own a ReadyNAS 312 too. Both have the latest firmware (Ultra 2 = RAIDiator 4.2.27)

I use the Ultra 2 for media files storage. Local access works just fine.

(I use the 312 for backup purposes. I back up the Ultra 2 NAS and back up files/directories from 2 PC computers, using a product called Retrospect, to the 312 NAS. I maintain a 3 disk quarterly rotation for the 312 NAS, keeping one disk off site.)

I'm currently struggling with figuring out how to establish remote access to my Ultra 2 NAS unit. I'd like to have access to the media files on it, anywhere there's an Internet connection via a laptop PC running Windows 7.

The Ultra 2's Hostname is N1. It has a static IP address 192.168.1.105. I have installed its included ReadyNAS Remote program (appears to be v1.0.9.78). I haven't been able to figure out yet what goes in to the 'Manage ReadyNAS Remote Access' screen though.

I've tried to use readycloud.netgear.com to discover the Ultra 2, without success. Pushing the Ultra 2's 'backup button' for 5 seconds in advance of clicking 'Discover' doesn't work for me. Doing a 'Search by serial number' (of the Ultra 2) also doesn't work for me.

I clicked on the Ultra 2's ReadyNAS Remote 'help' but the 'How to setup remote access with ReadyNAS Remote' article appears to have been written before the Ultra 2 existed, and now the 312 existed too.

I would appreciate some help please. Mission is to have remote access via an Internet connected Windows 7 laptop PC to Ultra 2 ReadyNAS unit.

Many thanks!

Best regards,

Bill
Message 1 of 10
RX
Luminary
Luminary

Re: Can't Figure Out How to Set Up Remote Access to my Ultra

ReadyCloud is not compatible with your ReadyNAS Ultra 2. ReadyCloud is compatible for ReadyNAS OS 6 models like your RN312. The ReadyNAS Ultra 2 is an OS 4 ReadyNAS Model.

Kindly check this link about ReadyNAS Remote: http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detai ... nas-remote

Here is the latest version of ReadyNAS Remote Desktop Client software for Windows before the ReadyCloud Client came out, here is the link below:

Windows: http://www.readynas.com/contributed/mdg ... 6.5.23.exe
Message 2 of 10
a0128958
Aspirant

Thank you!

I didn't know ReadyCloud wasn't compatible with my Ultra 2 (thanks for helping me understand that the Ultra 2 is an OS 4 ReadyNAS model).

Before installing the latest version of Remote Desktop Client before ReadyCloud Client came out, I have deleted or uninstalled everything I can WRT ReadyCloud.

I think I'm starting fresh now. Getting ready to download the 6.5.23 s/w.

I'll comment later on progress.

Many thanks!

Best regards,

Bill
Message 3 of 10
a0128958
Aspirant

I'm making progress.

Anything and everything associated with ReadyCloud has been removed, deleted, forgotten, etc.

I successfully installed the ReadyNAS Remote software on my PC (Windows 7) kindly provided in an earlier posting.

I created a Ready NAS Remote user ID. I was careful to use an ID different than what I had with ReadyCloud. Still, I was nervous because the email address is the same.

On my Ultra 2 NAS I figured out how to give access to the ReadyNAS Remote account that's used on my PC.

I'm now able to connect to the Ultra 2 from my PC - here on my local network and remotely. Yippee!

Now trying to figure out why I don't see any directories using ReadyNAS Remote. I can connect find to 'ReadyNASShares' but this folder is appearing to be empty.

I can map a drive to \\N1\C and see the Ultra 2's whole directory structure:

.iscsi
.timemachine
backup
home
lost+found
media

But none of this shows up using 'ReadyNASShares.

Any counsel would be appreciated. I think I'm inches from the finish line!

Thank you.

Best regards,

Bill
Message 4 of 10
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You need to configure ReadyNAS Remote. See http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/20928
Message 5 of 10
a0128958
Aspirant

Thank you.

I'm stuck. I did everything in the document to the best of my ability. The result is when I click on the ReadyNAS Shares 'computer' in my Windows Explorer screen, there are no Ultra 2 NAS directories to show.

I went back to my Ultra 2 NAS and checked my Installed Add-ons. ReadyNAS Remote is checked and it says v1.0.9.78 at the bottom right. Going to the Manage ReadyNAS Remote screen, NAS-N1 username is shown as an Allowed User Name. It says p2p version: 1.9.9-43 in the bottom right.

I went back to my installed RedayNAS Remote PC program. A right-click on it and selection of Properties (not logged in yet) shows my Log in User ID as NAS-N1 and has the appropriate password.

Another right-click and then selection of Log In, appears to work fine.

Selection of Connect to ReadyNAS... brings up a Windows Explorer screen with ReadyNAS Shares listed as a computer but its an empty folder.

Selection of Show Devices shows 0 online and 0 offline Devices.

Selection of View Profile brings up the ReadyNAS Remote Member's Login screen - everything here works fine. No problem logging in with my NAS-N1 UserID and associated password.

Selection of Open Folder doesn't do anything.

Selection of Open ReadyDROP doesn't do anything.

Selection of ReadyNAS Admin doesn't do anything.

I did the above with a local network connection. The Ultra 2 NAS has a fixed IP connection (192.168.1.5) - my laptop PC has a DHCP generated IP address (192.168.1.215).

If anyone can help me connect to my Ultra 2 NAS shares it would surely be appreciated! Many thanks!

Best regards,

Bill
Message 6 of 10
RX
Luminary
Luminary

Kindly try this: Enable FTP on Standard File Protocols and set Authentication Mode as User. Then, enable FTP on each share you want to access via ReadyNAS Remote. Check if the shares will be accessible via ReadyNAS Remote.

Also, try to disable any software firewalls or anti-virus/es like Kaspersky, Norton, etc. that is installed on the PC where the ReadyNAS Remote Desktop software is installed.
Message 7 of 10
a0128958
Aspirant

Ixa wrote:
Kindly try this:

Enable FTP on Standard File Protocols = it already is enabled (CIFS, FTP, HTTP & HTTPS are all selected; AFP is not); for Discovery Services UPnP is enabled, Bonjour is not.

and set Authentication Mode as User = it (for FTP) already is enabled.

Then, enable FTP on each share you want to access via ReadyNAS Remote.=

I only have two shares (the std shares), backup and media. For the backup share, only CIFS was enabled; I changed FTP from Disabled to Read/Write. Same for the media share.

Check if the shares will be accessible via ReadyNAS Remote = Don't know how to do this.

Also, try to disable any software firewalls or anti-virus/es like Kaspersky, Norton, etc. that is installed on the PC where the ReadyNAS Remote Desktop software is installed.

I have Norton 360, current revision, running. I turned off Smart Firewall and Anti-Virus AutoProtect for awhile.

Outcome after doing above is no change. Do I need to reboot the Ultra 2 NAS?

There is one thing above that I don't know how to do ("check if the shares will be accessible via ReadyNAS Remote" - I tried to find this but couldn't.

Any more hints?

Many thanks!

Best regards,

Bill
Message 8 of 10
RX
Luminary
Luminary

a0128958 wrote:
There is one thing above that I don't know how to do ("check if the shares will be accessible via ReadyNAS Remote"l

What I mean here is try to access your shares remotely using the ReadyNAS Remote Desktop software installed on your PC.

You may also reboot your NAS and it might help.
Message 9 of 10
a0128958
Aspirant

Under Ixa's title it says "ReadyNAS Expert."

Indeed he is!

It was the reboot of the NAS that was needed. I'm working fine now, remotely.

Many thanks!

Best regards,

Bill
Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements