× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can't acces shares anymore in windows 7 after backup

boeman
Aspirant

Can't acces shares anymore in windows 7 after backup

Hi,

I have been using an RN 102 for more than two years now in my home network. I could access it with every windows 7 computer, I have made mapped network drives to the different shares. Since last night though the shares are not accessible anymore. Clicking on a mapped network drive gives the error: "X:\ is not accessible. The local security authority database contains an internal inconsistency"

I have also a android smartphone which can still see and access all shares and the same goes for an old xp computer I fired up this morning. And I can access the mapped share via the cmd prompt.

Just before I lost the access I did a backup. I just started doing these back ups last week. I connect a USB drive to the RN102, do a backup via either the backup button or via the frontview backup page. This is still work in progress and I do get error messages with these backups.

Now I am still able to connect to the RN 102 via frontview. But I cannot add a new user, I cannot change passwords of a user. Also, if I try to add a share that does not work.

What could be wrong here and what do I do to make my files accessible again.
Message 1 of 17
StephenB
Guru

Re: Can't acces shares anymore in windows 7 after backup

Do you happen to run HP ProtectTools on the Windows 7 machine?
Message 2 of 17
boeman
Aspirant

No. Actually I lost access from three windows 7 machines at the same time. So I think the problem is related to the NAS and not to a computer.
Message 3 of 17
boeman
Aspirant

Is it already a good idea to perform an OS reinstall?

-edit- I did and except for changing the password to standard to login in frontview nothing else changed.

-edit- and it gets weirder. I downloaded the latest firmware 4.2.27. But when i check the image via frontview, it says 'invalid image'.
Message 4 of 17
StephenB
Guru

Did you unzip the firmware image?

The only reference I see to "The local security authority database contains an internal inconsistency" when I google it relates to HP ProtectTools. You could try removing the mapped drives, and deleting and re-entering the credentials for the NAS in windows credential manager. Then try connecting again through windows explorer (\\nasname or \\nasipaddress).
Message 5 of 17
boeman
Aspirant

Yes, I did unzip the firmware image. Also tried with 4.2.26 but the same.

I also already did everything you suggest, so removing mapped drives, deleting and re-entering the credentials etcetera. I doubt though that the problem is in the PC, as it happened with three different computers at the same time, after two years of functioning well.

Thanks for thinking with me, much appreciated!

I think something went wrong with the backup and screwed with the file(s) on the NAS responsible for user accounts. I do not know how and why, I am not an IT expert. The lucky thing is it seems the backup drive itself contains all the files which were stored on the NAS. So currently I am copying those to one of the computers. After that I think I will perform a factory reboot.
Message 6 of 17
EskenderNG
NETGEAR Employee

Hi,

a couple of things.

Aren’t you using a RN102? Then the latest firmware is OS 6.2.2. The 4.2.27 firmware is for devices of an older generation.
Here is a download link.

For your original problem:
The first part of this thread might help: Link.

All Windows 7 machines being affected must not necessarily lead to the conclusion that the problem originates on the ReadyNAS. Maybe an update ran on all PC clients caused the issue. Bye the way are you using active directory to control access to the shares?

Bye,
Eskender
Message 7 of 17
boeman
Aspirant

Sorry for the confusion, I use an Ultra 2, NOT an RS102.

What is active directory to control access to the shares?
Message 8 of 17
EskenderNG
NETGEAR Employee

Hi,

With active directory you would have a server on your Windows domain handle the authentication when a user tries to access the ReadyNAS instead of having the ReadyNAS handle access restrictions itself.

Bye,
Eskender
Message 9 of 17
boeman
Aspirant

Then no, I do not use active directory
Message 10 of 17
boeman
Aspirant

Still the same problems. Could it be that my OS partition is full? It looks my problems are the same as described here: http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=73258.
Message 11 of 17
StephenB
Guru

Are you comfortable turning on SSH?
Message 12 of 17
boeman
Aspirant

I really cant tell, because I don't know what SSH is. I googled it and it enables some more access to the NAS if I am correct.

I could also do a factory reset, since I have a backup. But in that case I would not know what the problem was and that would leave me a bit uncertain for the future.
Message 13 of 17
StephenB
Guru

SSH is a command line interface into the NAS. Based on your reply, I'd say its probably not for you.

Try deleting all logs (system and any backup logs) from the web ui, and see if things improve. DON'T attempt to download the logs if you think you might have a nearly full OS partition.

Do you have ReadyDLNA enabled? Or the itunes server?
Message 14 of 17
boeman
Aspirant

Frontview says there are no logs, only existing log was of the backup, I could not delete the log, but I could delete the backup job. Already did that before your reply, no improvements.

I have ReadyDLNA enabled, not Itunes.
Message 15 of 17
StephenB
Guru

I am thinking you should probably try a single incident (paid) support request at support.netgear.com.
Message 16 of 17
boeman
Aspirant

I gave up and did a factory default reset. It is up and running again. Updated to 4.2.27 and everything seems normal. It is already filling again with files from the backup
Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements