× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can't browse ReadyNAS from Windows since upgrade

b3nb123
Tutor

Can't browse ReadyNAS from Windows since upgrade

I'm not a very experienced user, I'm still in the early days of settingn up my NAS. I plugged in and copied lots of files from a USB drive to my NAS, and had been accessing it via windwos file explorer when I needed to rename or delete any folders.
Since the changes to Readynas from readycloud, or since the firmware upgrade (Can't tell which, they both happened about the same time) I can no longer access the NAS from windows file explorer, although I can with the admin page. (Shame I can't handle things like renaming using the admin)
This also means, most importantly, that I can't set up a backup from Windows, as I get the same error "The Specified Nretwork location cannot be used"

Any ideas?

Model: RN104|ReadyNAS 100 Series
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Can't browse ReadyNAS from Windows since upgrade

@b3nb123 wrote:

EDIT - HaNG ON A MINUTE! When I tried it a minute ago I added a new credential using the IP of the readynas. I just added a new one again using READYNAS in capitals (The exact device name on the network) and now I'm in!

... However Windows Backup, while letting me find the location, won't let me use it
"verify the path points to a correct network location and that the supplied credentials can be used for write access to the folder" (Validation information class requested was invalid . (0x80070544)

Try using READYNAS\admin as the username in the windows credential.  The NAS doesn't care about the READYNAS\ prefix, but I have some some postings that suggests that Windows backup does.

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 10

All Replies
b3nb123
Tutor

Also, all DLNA shares don't work (They did yesterday) and I get connection refused when I try to FTP to it too

Message 2 of 10
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello b3nb23,

Please disable IPv6 from the admin page > Network if you are not using it to get to the ReadyNAS.

Then if you have ReadyCloud desktop client, please log out, then locally map the shares again.

Regards,

Message 3 of 10
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi b3nb123,

We would like to know if you have tried JennC's suggestion. 

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 10
b3nb123
Tutor

I did turn off ipv6, then went back to the shares page and turned off then back on the shares (didn't understand what locally Map the shares meant!) but still the admin page and the readynas app are the only things that can access the folders properly.
In 'this pc' I can double click readynas and get a few folders, a kind of simplified set, videos, pictures etc, but it isn't the complete set of all the folders I have in admin.
Accessing the readynas under 'network', or trying to set up a folder location for a backup via windows backup, or trying to access the folders via ftp or via dlna all completely lock me out.
Message 5 of 10
StephenB
Guru

Try going into windows credential manager and destroying any credentials that exist for the NAS.  Then create a windows credential using the NAS admin account (username=admin, password=nasadminpassword)

Message 6 of 10
b3nb123
Tutor

Thanks, I've just tried your suggestion, but It's the same. The admin web interface can see everything, as can the Windows app, but I can't access it as a network location via windows explorer, or any dlna folders via a dlna device

Message 7 of 10
b3nb123
Tutor

EDIT - HaNG ON A MINUTE! When I tried it a minute ago I added a new credential using the IP of the readynas. I just added a new one again using READYNAS in capitals (The exact device name on the network) and now I'm in!

... However Windows Backup, while letting me find the location, won't let me use it
"verify the path points to a correct network location and that the supplied credentials can be used for write access to the folder" (Validation information class requested was invalid . (0x80070544)

Message 8 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@b3nb123 wrote:

Try using READYNAS\admin as the username in the windows credential.  The NAS doesn't care about the READYNAS\ prefix, but I have some some postings that suggests that Windows backup does.

Message 9 of 10
b3nb123
Tutor

Awesome, thanks! This works great now!

To clarify - I added my own credential in 'Windows Credential Manager':

Network address READYNAS (Not the IP as I thought!)
username READYNAS\admin (or just admin) (Not my admin login email address as I thought!)

password (My usual admin password)

Now windows has full access to the NAS!

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements