× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Cannot access boot menu - Ultra 6

djdysart
Aspirant

Cannot access boot menu - Ultra 6

I'm trying to do a factory reset for my ReadyNAS ULtra 6 that is being repurposed. It currently has no drives in it and I've followed the instructions in the manual to access the boot menu, namely:

• Power it down

• Hold reset button

• Power it on while continuing to hold the reset button until the boot menu appears

I do this, but it boots normally. I get the ReadyNAS screen, Get "Booting...," then an error about missing disks. Even when there were disks in the unit, I couldn't access the boot menu. Am I missing something?
Message 1 of 5
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Cannot access boot menu - Ultra 6

You need working disks installed to do a factory reset. If you only have blank unformatted disks (with no partitions on them) installed a factory default will take place automatically.
Message 2 of 5
StephenB
Guru

Note that all the configuration information is on the drives. So if the repurposed NAS is going to a new owner (diskless), there is no need for you to do a reset.
Message 3 of 5
djdysart
Aspirant

StephenB wrote:
Note that all the configuration information is on the drives. So if the repurposed NAS is going to a new owner (diskless), there is no need for you to do a reset.

I sort of figured this, so I tried booting with a new drive in bay one and get an error that it cannot mount the RAID volume (the new disk was not in a NAS prior). I'll trying pulling it out and making sure there are no partitions on it.
Message 4 of 5
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Managed to get the NAS to boot and as the BIOS was out of date I updated the BIOS. Still the boot menu doesn't work so maybe the reset button is faulty.

The Ultra 6 does have a 3 year warranty so if it is still under warranty you could contact NetGear support about getting an RMA if you want.
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements