× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Cannot connect discovery server

Richkiddy
Aspirant

Cannot connect discovery server

Hi, had my readynas 104 for 10 months with three x 3TB drives fitted - all working well - but had occasional failed transfers to it but this seems to have cleared up till recently. I spotted it wasn't on the network the other day, pressing the power button briefly showed it was happy, 73% space remaining and the fixed ip address. Still couldn't connect to it.

Pressing the backup button for 5s to try the reconnect and is says cannot connect discovery server. It stays like this for some time - about 5 minutes, and then screen goes off and hitting the power button all seems fine on the display. Still not on the network.

No idea where to go next with this.

Help please.

Richard.
Message 1 of 38
StephenB
Guru

Re: Cannot connect discovery server

Is the ethernet port LED lit?
Message 2 of 38
Richkiddy
Aspirant

Yes, lit and flashing. Raidar finds it on the network but then when going to
https://192.168.1.121/admin/ after choosing setup in Raidar, I get

This webpage is not available

Richard
Message 3 of 38
Richkiddy
Aspirant

It's never had a power-down, so am loathe to do this if not needed if there's a possibility it might cause other issues - is that the next thing though?
Message 4 of 38
StephenB
Guru

Does it respond to ping?

Did you recently upgrade to 6.2.x firmware?

Does entering \\192.168.1.121 into the windows explorer address bar (NOT internet explorer; but computer) show you your shares?
Message 5 of 38
Richkiddy
Aspirant

ok - entered the address on win explorer - couldn't connect so the troubleshooter option popped up.

Problems found - Your computer appears to be correctly configured but the device or resource is not responding.

Raidar says 6.1.9 - not updated for a while.

Richard
Message 6 of 38
Richkiddy
Aspirant

so I've bitten the bullet and held the power button in, released , saw message to shut down so pressed power again. Shut down, powered on, and still saying cannot connect discovery server, - lights are on the hub, and then it seems now to have got back to normal and I can now see it. Just needed a kisk up its backside I guess...

Thanks for help.

Richard
Message 7 of 38
StephenB
Guru

I was just about to post a suggest to power-cycle.

You are using a fixed IP address, correct? How are the DNS servers configured on the NAS?
Message 8 of 38
Richkiddy
Aspirant

OK, still got issues - can't connect any other computers to the nas through wifi, the desktop works, which is wired into a gigabit switch in the same room as the nas, tried laptop wired into switch and it won't see it either! I'm sure I had fixed the ip before the reboot, it always had the same address on the nas box, now since reboot it's 192.168.1.100 and not changed. It's now giving me the "cannot connect discovery server" again after holding the backup button for 5 seconds and
https://readycloud.netgear.com/client/index.html#page=discoverdevices
won't see it.

Raidar sees it - on laptop wired and wifi, and so does the desktop, but clicking on setup takes me to
https://192.168.1.100/admin/
where I then get the message "This webpage is not available"

I can still access files on the nas via the desktop.

More help required please!

Richard
Message 9 of 38
Richkiddy
Aspirant

oh, and just after the power cycle and when it all seemed working, I updated to 6.2.2.
Message 10 of 38
Richkiddy
Aspirant

I just thought there might have been something up with my powerline adapter so wired the nas directly to the router, but still same symptoms.
Message 11 of 38
StephenB
Guru

Can you access files over wifi?

Do you have ssh installed?
Message 12 of 38
Richkiddy
Aspirant

ssh?

"can't connect any other computers to the nas through wifi, the desktop works, which is wired into a gigabit switch in the same room as the nas, tried laptop wired into switch and it won't see it either!"

Confused...
Message 13 of 38
StephenB
Guru

Can you give us some more details on how your network is configured? Perhaps a simple diagram, also giving model numbers for switches, routers, access points, powerline.
Message 14 of 38
Richkiddy
Aspirant

virgin cable
i
i
virgin router and hub
i
i
Netgear wifi (better range than the Virgin media issue one so have disabled wifi on theirs
i
i
ethernet from Netgear hub to powerline - TP link 500 both ends
i
i
tp 500 connected to netgear 8 port gs108 switch
i
i
i
this is then connected to my desktop and the nas and the laptop I tried. the NAS isn't showing on my network on the deskop, but I can access it via the drive letter Z I created when I installed it.

R
Message 15 of 38
Richkiddy
Aspirant

above configuration hasn't changed since installation.
Message 16 of 38
StephenB
Guru

Ok. So you can access the NAS from the desktop, even though the NAS isn't appearing on the left pane of windows explorer.

You can't access it from the laptop at all? Even with \\nas-name or \\nas-ip-address entered directly into the windows explorer address bar (using the real name and IP address of course)???

fwiw, you might try changing the topology to:

virgin router->TP-500->TP-500->Netgear router->GS108.

The TP500 is almost certainly faster than your virgin internet. It's not as fast as the NAS though. Whether its faster than your wifi link depends on the WiFi mode and the circuit quality on the TP-500 connections. The change shouldn't do any harm (assuming the new router location is good for WiFi coverage), and it might be somewhat better.
Message 17 of 38
Richkiddy
Aspirant

I can't even get to it via the IP address on the desktop (from where I can access the NAS!) p.s. Is it normal to type an IP into windows explorer and have it open in Chrome?

Have the topology as it is as the virgin cable comes into the back of the house and the study with all my IT is in the front. Router at back covers the garden and kirchen extension, but wouldn't reach if I had the router in the study.

R
Message 18 of 38
Richkiddy
Aspirant

Extra help - might/not help with diagnosis?

Moved nas to bedroom where internet comes in. Plugged into the Netgear router and afterwards also the Virgin router.
display still reads cannot connect discovery server (from both routers), still can't access via IP (192.168.1.121) (from bouth routers) BUT is still accessible via the desktop when it was plugged into EITHER router.

still can't see it here
https://readycloud.netgear.com/client/i ... verdevices
after pressing backup for 5 seconds

Still confused - do I need to get refund on the nas?

R
Message 19 of 38
StephenB
Guru

Generally if you are going to double-route, you should have all your devices connected to the inner router (Netgear in your case).

To access from windows explorer you need to start with \\ Otherwise it will open in your default browser.

I suggest focusing on getting Windows Explorer access working, and not worry so much about ReadyCloud right not.
Message 20 of 38
Richkiddy
Aspirant

yes, that's how all things were connected, to the netgear router.

typing in \\192.168.1.121 into windows explorer does nothing...
eventually only bring up the popup "network error" and windows cannot access 192etc - diagnose etc.

pressing and holding the backup button brings up the message cannot connect discovery server and pressing and holding again brings up discovery on.

also, running readynas remote, I get this error

"ReadyNAS Remote is currently running and needs to be stopped before running ReadyNas Remote" - readynas isn't running - I've checked task manager too...

I've unistalled it and reinstalled it now. Readynas remote says nas is offline. raidar sees it, it's current OS, but can't enter setup.

R
Message 21 of 38
StephenB
Guru

Maybe try disabling SMB and then re-enabling?

Also, perhaps delete any credentials in the windows credential manager.
Message 22 of 38
krazydav
Aspirant

I had the same issue. Moved to Eth1 or the other ethernet input and started working again. I was doing quite a bit of button mashing trying to understand a different issue, but the settings were still good. Beta FW fixed it for me.
Message 23 of 38
Richkiddy
Aspirant

disabling SMB and then re-enabling...??

what's that then?

OK I googled it and found this page

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2696547

Never used powershell before - I guess I just type it in like in a dos box? Said requested registry access not allowed.

I've already tried the other ethernet port.
Message 24 of 38
StephenB
Guru

Probably you need to run powershell (or the registry editor) as admin.

There is also an SMB plus add-on for the RN104 which gives you more control over SAMBA settings. (http://apps.readynas.com/pages/?page_id=9)
Message 25 of 38
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 37 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements