× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Cannot switch from user mode to domain mode

zeke561
Guide

Cannot switch from user mode to domain mode

I have a new ultra 4 (4.2.21) that I initially set up in user mode. Now I want to switch to domain mode. However, after the initial setup, the device does not show me the option to change security mode. I've tried disabling/re-enabling cifs service, and removing the default cifs shares. This even survives a factory reset. I also see a windows workgroup name in the global network settings that could not be a default (it is specific to our site). I'm thinking there must be some cached info it gets from a server on our network, but I don't have any clue how to deal with this. I would appreciate any input. I've searched but didn't see anything that I thought would help.
Message 1 of 13
HERBIEO
Aspirant

Re: Cannot switch from user mode to domain mode

I am not familiar with the interface on the ultra series but on the arm based units the setting is under ( system - settings - security - access type ) here you can choose from local users or active directory.
Message 2 of 13
zeke561
Guide

HERBIEO wrote:
I am not familiar with the interface on the ultra series but on the arm based units the setting is under ( system - settings - security - access type ) here you can choose from local users or active directory.

Thanks for the reply, but that's the problem. It doesn't show the option under Security. The option is actually called "Security Mode". I have several readynases and have never seen this problem. I really, really hope I didn't miss that the Ultra 4 Plus does not support domain (ads) security.
Message 3 of 13
HERBIEO
Aspirant

Just checked the Comparison chart and it looks like it does not support domain (ads) security.
http://www.netgear.com/images/ReadyNAS_Comparison_Home_v218-57079.pdf second page down.

Edit: looks like its only the arm based units from the Home/Prosumer Product Line support ADS/Domain security mode.
Message 4 of 13
zeke561
Guide

#@&$! It looks like the Ultra 4 Plus does not support ads access. I've been using readynas since X6, including NV, NV+, and Pro models, and never had to think about ads support, it was just always there. I can't believe there is any other reason for Netgear to not support that in this model, other than to bump customers up to the more expensive models.
Message 5 of 13
HERBIEO
Aspirant

Strange that the higher end models in the Home/Prosumer Product Line dont support it.
Message 6 of 13
zeke561
Guide

HERBIEO wrote:
Strange that the higher end models in the Home/Prosumer Product Line dont support it.

As I said in the edited version of my previous post, I have to conclude that Netgear is simply trying to bump customers up to the more expensive Pro models. I was just raving to one of our IT guys how capable these devices are for a reasonable cost. I'm really disappointed that Netgear is doing this to what has always been an extremely well-supported product line.
Message 7 of 13
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The Pro 4 has business features, a 5 year warranty and a higher price tag.

The Duo (v1), NVX Pioneer, Pro Pioneer, Ultra and Ultra Plus have never had AD mode. They're a cheaper option for those who don't need business features or a warranty longer than 3 years.

The Duo/NV+ v2 didn't have AD mode till 5.3.5.
Message 8 of 13
HERBIEO
Aspirant

Good point mdgm i suppose there is no real need for most home users to want AD.
Message 9 of 13
zeke561
Guide

mdgm wrote:
The Pro 4 has business features, a 5 year warranty and a higher price tag.

The Duo (v1), NVX Pioneer, Pro Pioneer, Ultra and Ultra Plus have never had AD mode. They're a cheaper option for those who don't need business features or a warranty longer than 3 years.

The Duo/NV+ v2 didn't have AD mode till 5.3.5.

I have purchased an x6, a couple of nvs and a couple of nv+s. All of them had AD. Adding Ad is a matter of changing the samba config files - at least when I did it a few years ago. This is not something that adds cost.
Message 10 of 13
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

There is no option to configure AD in the web-admin interface of the ReadyNAS on the models I mentioned. So don't buy those models if you want to use AD on the NAS. The models you have zeke56 are not on the list I mentioned.
Message 11 of 13
zeke561
Guide

HERBIEO wrote:
Good point mdgm i suppose there is no real need for most home users to want AD.

There is also no need for services like NFS for most home users. It isn't as easy for Netgear to remove NFS because it's supported in the Linux kernel. As I said, on all the older models at least from 2005 when I started using ReadyNAS products, AD was supported. They appear to be simply trying to create the illusion they are adding value to the more expensive models by adding a feature that in reality is zero cost for them. As I said before, I didn't even think to check that they would remove a feature that was supported from the very beginning.
Message 12 of 13
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Well the Duo (v1) was released in 2008, the NVX Pioneer and Pro Pioneer were released in 2009. This isn't a recent decision they made to have a different feature set on different products. You'll notice that the Ultra 4 does not list AD support on its feature set. See the Comparison Charts

Depending on your reseller's return policy you should have returned the unit or repurpose it for some other task. If you've already loaded a lot of data you can migrate an array from the Ultra 4 to e.g. a Pro 4 then change to AD mode. See http://www.readynas.com/kb/faq/boot/how_do_i_migrate_disks_over_from_an_existing_readynas_to_another
Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements