× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Changed security type, now can't connect to shares (NV)

hokieguy
Aspirant

Changed security type, now can't connect to shares (NV)

Hi all,

I just changed from Share to User security on my NV, and now I cannot reach the NAS at all with \\readynas from Windows Explorer on my laptop. I can reach everything fine with \\IP_address . Additionally, my wife's laptop still connects fine with \\readynas.

I tried flushing the DNS from my laptop as I saw suggested in some other threads and have rebooted 2x, no good.

The error I get is "\\readynas is not accessible...... Logon failure: account currently disabled". I can, however, successfully ping readynas from the command line.

Thanks in advance!
Message 1 of 8
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Changed security type, now can't connect to shares (NV)

What version of RAIDiator are you running?

What version of Windows on your computers?

Have you had a look at How to Migrate to User Security Mode?
Message 2 of 8
hokieguy
Aspirant

Sorry... both laptops are Windows 7 x64. RAIDiator 4.1.8.

The guide you linked to is the one I followed for changing to User mode security.

Just noticed since switching to User mode, now when I right click a large group of files/folders on the NAS, Windows warns me "Opening these files might be harmful to your computer." Hmmm... file permission setting or something?

Wondering if it's easier to just go back to Share security, what do I lose?
Message 3 of 8
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

If things were working fine for you on Share security you could try that, but Share security mode is EOL (End of Life) and not available on any new ReadyNAS models.

Is the computer name of the laptop that is unable to connect or the user you are logged in as on that computer the same as the name of a share on your NAS?
Message 4 of 8
hokieguy
Aspirant

Thanks again. Yes, things were working fine in Share mode. I just figured I'd try switching to User since (I think?) it offers a little more flexibility for security. My needs are pretty basic - I would just like to have a folder(s) on the NAS only accessible by certain users. So if I have a friend over and give him our wi-fi password, he shouldn't be able to browse the NAS.

No issue with user/PC names conflicting with the share names. I am using the basic backup and media default shares.

Something screwy definitely going on, though. In my Network Places, I now see both "READYNAS" and the NAS IP listed. If I click on READYNAS I get the error. I also have a mapped drive M: which used to go to the Media share, but now no longer works, but I can't remove it from Explorer. If I right click, Disconnect, it says the connection doesn't exist or something. I've tried a few things at the command line - net use m: /delete and net use /persistent:no, but the icon still stays, with a red X.

This will teach me to follow "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" I guess!
Message 5 of 8
StephenB
Guru

My guess is that it is an authentication issue - that the PC that fails is attempting to use credentials that no longer work. You could also try connecting to the NAS using its IP address - perhaps that changed at some point.
Message 6 of 8
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Try "net use M: /DELETE" (no quotes). Also "net use * /DELETE" (no quotes) will delete all mapped networked drives (as well as all other connections to network shares).
Message 7 of 8
hokieguy
Aspirant

I went ahead and switched back to Share mode. Immediately my mapped M: drive started working again, as did access via \\readynas

If I'm feeling brave, I'll try switching again to User mode, maybe I missed a step or something in the process the first time.
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements