× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Confusing Status Indicators

MarcT
Aspirant

Confusing Status Indicators

Hi

I've just setup a new ReadyNAS Duo v2, with two 2.5TB HDDs and am confused by the status indicators; I doubt it is operating correctly, but not sure exactly what the problem is.
I want a single, mirrored volume, which is fault tolerant. Both HDDs are newly purchased.

RAIDar shows:

Volume is RAID Level X2
    A yellow indicator for the volume, and "Not redundant. A disk failure will render this volume dead".
    One green, and one Green with read cross for the disk statuses. One is sleeping, one is spare.

The logs only contain one message which seems to be of concern to me (although it is all new to me), which is "Reallocated sector count has increased in the last day"; it went from 0 to 136, but hasn't changed since. Is this sufficient to send the drive back for a replacement?

Is there some other reason why the volume isn't redundant?

Thanks for your help!

Marc
Message 1 of 5
de_niro
Guide

Re: Confusing Status Indicators

You need ensure that your HDDs are compatible with DUO V2,unfortunately,there is no 2.5TB drive passed test for DUO V2 yet,you might need replace all of them to the compatible drive

HCL list for Readynas:
http://www.readynas.com/?page_id=82
Message 2 of 5
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

A reallocated sector count of that size would indicate that the drive is probably failing/dead. I agree with "de niro" that you should put drives from the compatibility list in the NAS. NetGear only supports the use of drives on their compatibility list.
Message 3 of 5
MarcT
Aspirant

Thanks for the replies. Regarding the status indicators, does this combination mean there is indeed something wrong? I'm not 100% clear on what you would normally expect to see, in a mirrored configuration - I guess all indicators green?

I will certainly try to get the disk with the "Reallocated sector count..." replaced.
Message 4 of 5
ReadySECURE
Apprentice

For a normal status the drives in use should appear green; indicating healthy drives. As mgdm mentioned, the sudden increase in reallocated sectors on the one drive indicates that it's severely starting to fail, or is dead. The NAS continues to work because of the mirrored setting. Always make sure that you use compatible drives with the unit, and if you're not sure what's compatible, you may find the list here. The indicator for spare will appear normally with the cross over it, and the rest should be green under normal conditions.
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements