× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Connecting ReadyNas to an existing LAN

CetaceaLab
Aspirant

Connecting ReadyNas to an existing LAN

I am using a Ubiquiti Toughswitch router for a LAN to record multiple underwater microphone signals. Until now I have been using a portable HDD to store the data. Due to enormous amount of data coming in I would like to switch to the ReadyNas 314. I have been trying to connect the Ready Nas to the Toughswitch, assigning an IP for it as part of the LAN. My PC does recognize the ReadyNas but I cannot store data on it through a network. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 9
vandermerwe
Master

Re: Connecting ReadyNas to an existing LAN

So are the readynas and the PC both connected to the router?

The routers dhcp server is on?

Are you able to access the admin pages using raidar, Readycloud or directly?

What firmware is on the 314?

Have you created users and a share on the 314?

How does the microphone data get processed into files? Is there software on the PC?

Message 2 of 9
CetaceaLab
Aspirant

Thanks for your reply.

- the PC and 314 are both connected to the router

- the router is set to static IP address, does it need to be changed to dhcp? 

- I can acces the 314 through radar but cannot manipulate the webpage it only shows the intro page listing the firmware, which is 6.1.4

-  no Users setup as of yet

- the data comes in as .wav files and is managed by a software program which lets me choose folders to save the files in.

Message 3 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@CetaceaLab wrote:

Thanks for your reply.

- the PC and 314 are both connected to the router

- the router is set to static IP address, does it need to be changed to dhcp? 

Can you tell us what the IP address of the PC and the 314 are?  It sounds like they are not in the same address range.

RAIDar will tell you the 314's address.

Message 4 of 9
CetaceaLab
Aspirant

the IP address of the router is 192.168.1.20 the other units connected to that LAN are in the same range. The 314 address is 169.254.198.169

Message 5 of 9
StephenB
Guru

Well that's the problem.  The RN314 also needs a 192.168.1.x address to function on your network.

If DHCP is not enabled on the router, then try enabling it.  After the NAS comes up, you can set a static address if you like.  Remember to configure the DNS servers when you do that.  Or just leave DHCP enabled, and use address reservation (which generally is a better approach).

Message 6 of 9
CetaceaLab
Aspirant

I enabled dhcp on the router and tried connecting the 314, but it did not work. 

Here is some more info that might help to figure out whats wrong. In the IPv4 control setting on the PC I do not have a DNS server identified. Do I need to do that and what should that IP address be? The IP address in IPv4 is set to 192.168.1.x on the PC and the subnet mask is 255.255.255.0

Message 7 of 9
CetaceaLab
Aspirant

oh and the PC with the 314 connected does not have access to the Internet.

Message 8 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@CetaceaLab wrote:

I enabled dhcp on the router and tried connecting the 314, but it did not work. 

Here is some more info that might help to figure out whats wrong. In the IPv4 control setting on the PC I do not have a DNS server identified. Do I need to do that and what should that IP address be? The IP address in IPv4 is set to 192.168.1.x on the PC and the subnet mask is 255.255.255.0

The main issue is that the 314 doesn't have a usable IP address.  Leave DHCP enabled and do an OS reinstall on the NAS.  Use the guide on page 59 and 60.  This will reset the RN314 to use DHCP, and will also reset the admin password to "password",  Data, apps, and other configuraton shouldn't be affected.

BTW, if you have connected both ethernet ports on the RN314 to the router, then disconnect one of them.

Then check again with RAIDar, and you should see a 198.168.1.x address (assuming your router is set up properly).

@CetaceaLab wrote:

oh and the PC with the 314 connected does not have access to the Internet.

Are you saying it has access with the RN314 disconnected?  If you didn't set up DNS, then you will have trouble accessing the internet.  Options are to set DNS to 192.168.1.1 (the address of your router), or to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 (open DNS servers hosted by Google).

Why are you using static IP addresses???

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements