× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Crashplan for Dummies, aka Step by Step :)

68rustang
Aspirant

Re: Crashplan for Dummies, aka Step by Step :)

/c/crashplan is where It was storing the backup files for the various computers. I ended up fixing it by moving the backups to another folder using the client. Deleting /c/crashplan, reCreating a new crashplan folder and moving them back.

All is good now.
Message 151 of 307
akg1
Aspirant

I am trying to install crashplan on my readynas ultra 4 + but I am not able to configure.

Client keeps giving error when I enter my username and password and I am not able to configure.

I get following error : "CrashPlan has been disconnected from the backup engine."
Message 152 of 307
StephenB
Guru

You have ssh enabled on the NAS, and are logged in with Putty? Also, you need to forward a port in the putty configuration, and set up the client configuration to use that port.

I suspect one of those steps is not done correctly.
Message 153 of 307
InterClaw
Aspirant

Maybe also check that the engine is actually running on the NAS?
Message 154 of 307
StephenB
Guru

InterClaw wrote:
Maybe also check that the engine is actually running on the NAS?
Sure. You can do that by entering
ps $(pidof java) 

The status should come back with "-Dapp=CrashPlanService"

Though I think the client setup is far more likely to be the problem.
Message 155 of 307
akg1
Aspirant

CrashPlan Engine (pid 3484) is running.

PID TTY STAT TIME COMMAND
3484 pts/0 SNl 0:13 /usr/bin/java -Dfile.encoding=UTF-8 -Dapp=CrashPlanService -DappBaseName=CrashPlan -Xms20m -Xmx512m -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true

I am using OSx and used "ssh -L 4200:localhost:4243 yourusername@2.2.2.2" to start the ssh connection to the readynas drive. I am able to launch Crashplan client. Before running the command it does not start but after that it shows my login/create account page.
Message 156 of 307
akg1
Aspirant

I tried to do everything on a Windows VM also but had same problem. Followed everything as given on : https://support.code42.com/CrashPlan/Latest/Configuring/Configuring_A_Headless_Client
Message 157 of 307
StephenB
Guru

You also made the edit to ui.properties on the client?

#servicePort=4243

to this:

servicePort=4200

(uncommenting the line, and changing the service port).
Message 158 of 307
jamestx10
Aspirant

Has anyone upgraded to 3.6.3 yet? Any thing special I need to do other then DL the new file and follow the same steps to install on the NAS?
Message 159 of 307
rccoleman
Aspirant

Crashplan for Dummies, aka Step by Step :)

I just did and I'm not sure I'm happy about it. You have to uninstall the old version to install the new one, and now it's set to upload hundreds if GBs or even TBs of data that I thought was already in their server. I'm still trying to figure out what happened, but I suspect that it wasn't scanning on a regular basis and I really am missing some files on the server. It's good that I discovered this, but I wasn't expecting to send all that data through my relatively small 5Mbit/ s pipe.

Other than that, it works fine. I did see some weird behavior in the client after the update, but I just had to restart the backup engine. Double click the Crashplan logo in the upper right and type 'restart' at the prompt.
Message 160 of 307
jamestx10
Aspirant

If it is the case that your data was not uploaded then good to find it now rather then when you need to restore. I get the emails that say that everything is backed up and I see recent changes replicated so I think my data is current.

I am not a Linux guy so I am not comfortable with uninstalling and reinstalling quite yet (without directions). Will see if anyone else chimes in with their experiences.
Message 161 of 307
InterClaw
Aspirant

I was going to update recently (when I learned that 3.6.3 was available), but thought I'd check to see if there was a more recent Java version as well - and there was.

So I first installed Java 7 Update 51 (embedded JRE). EJRE installer approach.

After doing this I turned my attention to CrashPlan and noticed it was the already on 3.6.3(!). So I guess it auto-updated as part of a reboot for the EJRE installation or something, since I didn't have to do anything (or am I dreaming?). And it's not just my local client. I checked it with the "version" command.

So for me it was very simple - again.

Oh and btw, it didn't have to resync anything. Not that I noticed anyway.
Message 162 of 307
jamestx10
Aspirant

Interclaw,
Is there a forum post on how to install the Java update or will the instructions in post 1 of this thread work?
Message 163 of 307
InterClaw
Aspirant

The OP updated the instructions for Java installation to use the EJRE installer approach, so go have a look on page 1. 🙂

Where you download it there are detailed instructions how to use it, say for an update.
Message 164 of 307
jamestx10
Aspirant

Do I need to remove the old Java or will following the install steps overwrite the old version with the new Java?
Message 165 of 307
InterClaw
Aspirant

I installed using the EJRE installer over my original install of Java 6. I think it reverts back to that when I uninstall the EJRE installer as well.
Message 166 of 307
jamestx10
Aspirant

Thanks for your help. Java update was simple and my crashplan updated on its own as well.

Java: java version "1.7.0_51"
Java(TM) SE Embedded Runtime Environment (build 1.7.0_51-b13, headless)
Java HotSpot(TM) Embedded Client VM (build 24.51-b03, mixed mode)

CP: version 3.6.3 - 1388556100363 (2014-01-01T06:01:40:363+0000)
Message 167 of 307
ots1
Aspirant

I am trying to install Java using the EJRE installer, but the installation fails:

Sat May 31 18:48:18 EEST 2014 The EJRE Installer add-on encountered an error during installation.
Sat May 31 18:48:17 EEST 2014 ERROR: no EJRE archive file on 'backup' share

The Java installation file can be found from the /c/backup directory:

nas1:/backup# ls /c/backup/*.gz
/c/backup/ejre-7u51-fcs-b13-linux-i586-headless-18_dec_2013.gz
Message 168 of 307
InterClaw
Aspirant

I think the problem is what is noted #4 on the addon site:
http://minimserver.com/ejre-installer.html
Message 169 of 307
ots1
Aspirant

I think the problem is what is noted #4 on the addon site:
http://minimserver.com/ejre-installer.html

Yes, that was the problem. Thank you.
Message 170 of 307
dannieboiz
Aspirant

Are the instructions from the first post still valid? I'm a linux noobie and everything is foreign to me. But the ability to use crash plan or carbonite is the deciding factor to if I keep my readynas 4200 or not. Can someone point me to the right direction to get this installed.
Message 171 of 307
chaug
Aspirant

I have had Crashplan running on my ReadyNAS Ultra 2 (with 2 GB RAM) for 1.5 years now and it works fine (except for the full OS partition problem reported earlier at http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=61152&start=120#p407512). I just want to mention another little teak that you might want to consider when you find that your ReadyNAS is running a bit slow due to a java process (which is probably Crashplan) using up a lot of CPU: there are two settings for how much CPU you allow Crashplan to use, one is for "when user away" and the other for "when user present". The thing is that this distinction only works on Mac and Windows. On Linux Crashplan always uses the "user away" setting, which is set to 80 percent by default. Reducing that to 60 percent seems to work fine for me and the CPU load was clearly reduced by that.
Cheers,
Christoph
P.S. if the url above is stripped out of this post again, I'm not going to try and replace it. you'll have to look for my post via the search function.

(Mod note - I added url tags to the URL. StephenB)
Message 172 of 307
SteveMathews
Aspirant

Hi, I'm struggling to get crashplan installed on my Pro6 running OS6.1.9
The problem seems to be getting JavaVM installed?
Add on referenced on page 1 of this thread don't seem to work under OS6?
But i thought it would be OK since on installing Crashplan 6.3.6 it says Java is not installed and goes ahead and installs it for you.

the problem is that once the installation is 'complete' doing the 'Java - Version' check does not work which makes me think it has not been installed properly and crashplan doesn't seem to be running.

i have tried running the installation again but it says crashplan is installed and needs to be uninstalled first

would appreciate advice anyone can give!!!

many thanks
Message 173 of 307
SteveMathews
Aspirant

Hi
I think I now have successful installed java having found some instructions on p10 of this forum.

java version "1.7.0_65"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea 2.5.1) (7u65-2.5.1-5~deb7u1)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 24.65-b04, mixed mode)

but now when i try to run crashplan install i get the following message

Welcome to the CrashPlan Installer.

Press enter to continue with installation.

Validating environment...
detected root permissions
mkdir: cannot create directory `./lib': File exists
cpio: unrecognized option '--no-preserve-owner'
BusyBox v1.20.2 (Debian 1:1.20.0-7) multi-call binary.

Usage: cpio [-dmvu] [-F FILE] [-H newc] [-tio] [EXTR_FILE]...

Extract or list files from a cpio archive, or
create an archive using file list on stdin

Main operation mode:
-t List
-i Extract EXTR_FILEs (or all)
-o Create (requires -H newc)
-d Make leading directories
-m Preserve mtime
-v Verbose
-u Overwrite
-F FILE Input (-t,-i,-p) or output (-o) file
-H newc Archive format

Error: Could not find or load main class com.code42.utils.JavaEnvironment
'/tmp' not writable.

Any suggestions for where I'm going wrong?

thanks
Message 174 of 307
ghostlobster
Aspirant

I'm getting the exact same error as SteveMathews in the post above this when running ./install.sh on a ReadyNAS 516 Pro, running 6.1.9.
Any ideas anyone?
Message 175 of 307
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements