× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Data Degraded please help im not sure if ive lost it all

Kneelb4z0d
Aspirant

Data Degraded please help im not sure if ive lost it all

Hi, i recently purchased a brandnew rn21400 4 Bay diskless unit, and two brand new Western Digital RED 4tb drives.

everything has been working fine since i set up three days ago, today i though i would transfer the last of my documents to the nas from my pc (around about 250gb of photos and music) before it was finished around 70% done the unit has started flashing data degraded

when i checked the volumes on the admin page one of the drives is red and when the information comes up it says disk failed.

it is said up with xraid on a raid 1 level so i believe that should have 4tb of backup?

what do i do? have i been really unlucky and got a faulty drive or will a simple reboot and resync or whatever fix it. there is alot of data on the nas around 1.2tb of movies, work documents that i really cant lose and ive now removed them from my home pc as i though they was safely over to the nas.

please help

Model: RN21400|ReadyNAS 214 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Data Degraded please help im not sure if ive lost it all

RAID-1 provides redundancy not backup.

With RAID-1 when a disk fails and you add a disk in a resync is triggered. This puts heavy stress on all disks as the disks need to be synced sector by sector. As the disk that was considered failed is being added back into the array it has probably been wiped. If the other disk happens to fail during the resync (unlikely, but possible) then you could lose all your data.

So if your data is important don't just store it on the one NAS unit. You need a backup on another NAS unit or some place else. However if the primary copy of the data is on your PC then the copy on the NAS is a backup.

It would be helpful if you could send your logs in as BrianL suggested.

You can't add smaller disks to an X-RAID volume, but you can disable X-RAID and create a second volume, or you could reformat everything (e.g. doing a factory reset) and create a new volume using all four disks.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 11

All Replies
Kneelb4z0d
Aspirant

update:

i done a gracefull reboot and now the display is saying its recovering data, the hdd in drive one is now showing as online. but i have to ask if anyone knows why this happened do i need to send that hdd back or was it maybe just an issue that is now fixed.

also on another note i have 2x2tb that i would like to add to bays 3 and 4, these are not new and are from my desktop pc that is going. i read somewhere on xraid you cant add smaller drives? is that TRUE, also if i can add them do i just put them in the nas and it should format those drives and add them to the volume? or will it make me reformat everything?

thanks again

Message 2 of 11
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Kneelb4z0d,

It is currently in mirror mode right now and the data is safe. What I would suggest is for you to complete all the backup and other activities, extract the system logs and send it to us.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team​

Message 3 of 11
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

RAID-1 provides redundancy not backup.

With RAID-1 when a disk fails and you add a disk in a resync is triggered. This puts heavy stress on all disks as the disks need to be synced sector by sector. As the disk that was considered failed is being added back into the array it has probably been wiped. If the other disk happens to fail during the resync (unlikely, but possible) then you could lose all your data.

So if your data is important don't just store it on the one NAS unit. You need a backup on another NAS unit or some place else. However if the primary copy of the data is on your PC then the copy on the NAS is a backup.

It would be helpful if you could send your logs in as BrianL suggested.

You can't add smaller disks to an X-RAID volume, but you can disable X-RAID and create a second volume, or you could reformat everything (e.g. doing a factory reset) and create a new volume using all four disks.

Message 4 of 11
Kneelb4z0d
Aspirant

ok thanks for the help.

the unit has finished recovering and everything seems to be fine now. ive ordered another 2x 4tb drives for bays 3 and 4, and im going to use the 2x2tb in my readynas duo V1 for time machine.

Message 5 of 11
Kneelb4z0d
Aspirant

so my new hdd arrived today was going to install them and on preparing i noticed that my readynas admin page was offline?? i ccould still access all the drives through finder and explorer, on raidr it said management system offline, a graceful reboot would not work i waited an hour and still no access, so i done a hard reboot, the readynas booted back up ok but is now recovering (resyncing) this is now the second time ive had a degraded hdd on these brandnew hdd's.

i have sent in my logs so hopefully one of you can hopefully figure this out, ive spoken to western digital and they say the hdd is fine after me reading some information over the phone and that this is a common problem with the readynas system.

im so close just to packing it all back up and sending it back and getting a different one. ive only had it one week and so far its degraged twice both times taking more than 20hours to resync the first time and the notification is saying 18hours to complete this one.

Message 6 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@Kneelb4z0d wrote:

...that this is a common problem with the readynas system.

Odd - if it were that common, we'd be seeing a lot more postings here since these are very popular drives for the ReadyNAS.

Also, it is expected that the system will resync if you forceably power down the NAS.  That doesn't mean the disk has failed.  The system detects the unexpected shutdown, and does a resync and a volume scan for safety.

The real problem is that you needed to forceably shutdown in the first place.  What firmware are you running?  Is the Antivirus service disabled?  What apps are installed?

Message 7 of 11
Kneelb4z0d
Aspirant

hi thanks for you speedy reply,

the only app i have running is plex, i did have a backup job running to back up my photos to another readynas for extra protection but i have now disabled that as it has failed twice and i initiialy thought the failure was connected to it crashing. the antivirus is not running as all the incoming files are through my desktop pc and should already be scanned.

i dont really have anything else on it, i have software on my pc that pulls stuff from my remote ftp and moves it to my nas keeping the files in sync but as far as i can tell everything has been going fine with that.

and as for plex im using an xbox1 so there shouldnt be any server load to transcode files as i believe the xbox one can play them directly.

to be honest the western digaital guy is always gonna say its not his equipment and wasnt much help really.

Message 8 of 11
StephenB
Guru

For a while plex was hanging my NAS, and I needed to forceably shut down. It seemed to happen when it was searching for metadata on the internet (after the main library update was completed).  when it happened, the NAS wouldn't even respond to ping.  I haven't seen that for a long time though.

You could try going into the library advanced settings, and selecting "personal media" for the plex agent, just to see if the lockup issues stop. 

Message 9 of 11
Kneelb4z0d
Aspirant

ok, tbh i usually run plex server from my pc, but i thought i would try it out on the nas as its supported, and its been working flawlessly for the past week even working remotely to my phone when i just have 4g. ill switch back to my pc for the time being and see if i get anymore issues.

is it safe to still install the drives or should i wait until the recovery is finished?

Message 10 of 11
StephenB
Guru

I'd wait.  Make sure you are in flex-raid before installing them if you want two RAID-1 volumes.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements