× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Default Admin/Netgear1 Logon Doesnt Work (#8463338)

ccnp
Aspirant

Re: Default Admin/Netgear1 Logon Doesnt Work (#8463338)

Suggestions gratefully received for the following problem

I used Reset to reload the firmware and now it refuses any passsword that I know. What do I do? The full sorry saga is below

Bought a Duo 2120 in Jan 2011
Loaded 2 x 2tb disks and RAIDed it
Used it happily in a mixed PC/Mac environment for 6 months

And then the big mistake; Upgraded a MacBook Pro to Lion

Time Machine stopped working - but all was not lost
Uploaded the new firmware
All worked well that day

Then the Mac stopped finding the ReadyNAS
Then it found it but couldn't login

So I decided to go back to basics and do a Reset as per the manual and start again with the backups - I wanted to change how I use the NAS anyway.

Now the thing won't recognise the default ID (admin) and/or Netgear password (password), the older default Netgear password (1234) or the admin password I had previously used to access the device minutes before the Reset. I had used that password on the original firmware and the password was carried over during the Reset. The password prompt facility was lost during Reset.

I can access the drives over Windows Explorer but not open the admin function

HELP (and don't upgrade to Lion until Apple and Netgear have debugged their software)
Message 26 of 29
dbott67
Guide

ccnp wrote:
Now the thing won't recognise the default ID (admin) and/or Netgear password (password), the older default Netgear password (1234) or the admin password I had previously used to access the device minutes before the Reset. I had used that password on the original firmware and the password was carried over during the Reset. The password prompt facility was lost during Reset.

The default values are username admin and password netgear1.

IF that still doesn't work, try the firmware re-install again: faq.php#How_do_I_re-install_the_firmware%3F

Again, this should cause the firmware to be re-installed (it won't touch your data). The re-install will reset the password to 'netgear1' and network settings to DHCP. Be sure to close all browser windows (maybe even clear the cache) and then use RAIDar to locate the NAS.

If it fails, then you should contact support. Netgear support may have you put the NAs in telnet support mode and then they can login and see what the issue is.
Message 27 of 29
ccnp
Aspirant

many thanks. Netgear1 was on my list of thing to try this evening
Message 28 of 29
PapaBear1
Guide

The default is netgear1, lower case n. Definitely clear your browser cache as it can affect how you connect.
Message 29 of 29
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 28 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 11 in conversation
Announcements