× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

DeltaCopy PC to NAS 4200 v2 SSH

SmallworldIT
Aspirant

DeltaCopy PC to NAS 4200 v2 SSH

Hi there, I'm looking for advice for using either DeltaCopy or grsync in order to back up a client computer to our remote NAS (4200 v2), due to the nature of Rsync with its incremental features, this the method that i have chosen.

I do however, for obvious security reasons require that the rsync is encrypted with SSH.

I am unable to "ssh nas.domain.com" from the command prompt whilst deltacopy CD is loaded in the command prompt, in order to test a connection, every connection requires a password, although none was set for an rsync client on the NAS, during the creation of the public key, and the passwords that i utilize for the NAS do not work either preventing ssh access.

I have uploaded the public key generated with DeltaCopy in the SSH key management option on the nas in the rsync options, but I am starting to believe that this isn't enough. Should the computer have the NAS's public key? Is there a linux location in the internal software of the nas for the public key of the computer to be stored for rsync capabilities?

Please help as much as you can!

Additional info:
1. NAS firmware is up to date
2. Testing currently on a Windows 8 - again up to date.
3. DeltaCopy - cygwin1.dll is dated "12/06/2008"
Message 1 of 7
TeknoJnky
Hero

Re: DeltaCopy PC to NAS 4200 v2 SHH

sounds like you need to have the proper ports forwarded, or be connected by some type of secure vpn.

normally you do not want ssh open publicly, and if you do you should ensure you have a very secure root password.

also you may want to check out some of the pages @ https://www.google.com/#&q=readynas+rsync+ssh
Message 2 of 7
SmallworldIT
Aspirant

Hi there, thank you for the reply, however porting isn't the problem or an issue.

We can RSYNC to our NAS fine perfectly fine with DeltaCopy.

We WANT it to be SSH secure, the key we generated is stored on the NAS under the ssh management but this doesnt seem to be enough?

Trying the -bash command line "scp id_dsa.pub 'user@server:~/.ssh/authorized_keys'." to put the ssh on a different way

from this guide:
http://www.ggtai.com/content/how-install-delta-copy-windows-client-and-linux-target#scp-batch-mode-setup

But am returned with
"Could not chdir to home directory /c/home/user: No such file or directory"

So am a bit lost yeah.

Has anyone been able to ssh-rsync to a readynas with success?
Cheers
Message 3 of 7
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Since your PC is running a new version of Windows you may wish to update the files in your DeltaCopy directory from a Cygwin install.
Message 4 of 7
SmallworldIT
Aspirant

All has been updated, still no response.

I'm starting to think i the way DeltaCopy handles SSH, it looks for the SSH in the root of the NAS.

And if the public key that is uploaded onto the NAS via the web interface is stored somewhere else and not \root\.ssh

This leads me to believe that in order to achieve what i desire i must root the NAS? Doesn't this void the warranties we have on the device?

Is there not any other way to do it?

Someone must have acheived SSH to NAS via DeltaCopy surely?
Message 5 of 7
kossboss
Guide

There is no such thing as "rooting the nas" When you install "rootssh" addon it just enabled root ssh - it doesnt void your warranty - however if you mess up your nas whilst in rootssh then it does void your warranty - if you brick the NAS some things to try OS reinstall - always have a backup and Factory Default will definatly fix it (if you didnt cause hardware damage). RootSSH addon requires a reboot and you will be good to go, you will log in to the NAS with your admin password but the username will simply be root.
Message 6 of 7
SmallworldIT
Aspirant

So if I go into the root of the nas and create a folder called .shh for the purpose of solely using DeltaCopy, this would be safe and advisable?
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements