× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Disk Scrubbing causes ReadyNAS Pro to lock up

torbuk
Aspirant

Disk Scrubbing causes ReadyNAS Pro to lock up

The company I do technical support for has a ReadyNAS Pioneer Pro. I have been experiencing an issue where when I enable the "Disk Scrubbing with Auto Parity Fix" Volume Maintenance (set for every two weeks at midnight) the ReadyNas will lock up at around 35% of the disk scrubbing job. The only method to get the unit back online is to power it off and then back on. This process does not effect the data on the NAS. It just locks it up. I also do a weekly "Online File System Consistency Check" (set for a different day but same time) and have no issues with running that process. The problem seems to coincide with adding two new hard drives. I currently have to following drives installed:

Ch 1, 2 & 3: Seagate ST31000528AS [931 GB]
Ch 4 : WDC WD10EARS-00Y5B1 [931 GB]
Ch 5 & 6 : WDC WD15EARS-00MVWB0 [1397 GB]

I did not have this problem before adding the two drives in Ch 5 & 6, however also to add, the problem didn't exactly start right after adding these drives either. I would say there was no issue for at least a month after installing the two larger drives. This problem has existed with at least the last three firmware revisions. Currently we are at the latest firmware revision - RAIDiator 4.2.19. I have attempted to replace the two WD15EARS drives with two more
ST31000528AS drives, nowever the X-Raid setup does not allow me to downgrade the array in Ch 5 or Ch 5 & 6 to drives smaller than the current 1397 GB.

I thinking that I am going to need to completely rebuild the array from scratch however hesitant to do this as it means migrating the data off first which will be a huge task. Any suggestions to this problem would be greatly appreciated. Let me know if there is any specific logs that I can submit

Thanks,

Trillium Infrastructure Solutions
Message 1 of 2
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Disk Scrubbing causes ReadyNAS Pro to lock up

Some of your drives are not on the Hard Disk HCL. The disks in Ch 5 & 6 are most likely to be the problem in my view, but it could be one or more of the other disks.

You might wish to run the "Disk Test" boot option (http://www.readynas.com/kb/faq/boot/how_do_i_use_the_boot_menu)
Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements