× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Disk noise every 3-5 seconds RN102

I_Need_Help1
Aspirant

Disk noise every 3-5 seconds RN102

Hi,
I'm new to the world of ReadyNas having just got a new RN102, I have fitted 2 known good 500Gb Samsung Sata 2 drives (HD502IJ) in Mirror Raid, Raid 1 X-Raid. One drive has one ATA error the other drive is clear of all errors.

The problem I'm having is every 3-5 seconds the NAS box is hitting the disks for about 1 second. so its more of an annoyance than a problem! this is doing it with no clients connected.

I have turned off all services that I think I can leaving only the follow:
SMB, ReadyDLNA, HTTP, HTTPS.

No apps are installed and I have removed / disabled the AV.

Firmware 6.1.8

Any idea why its doing it and how i can stop it?

is this an issue?
Message 1 of 4
vandermerwe
Master

Re: Disk noise every 3-5 seconds RN102

Did you test both disks thoroughly with vendors tools, I think Seatools should work with that Samsung drive.
I have used those drives in various readynas units ( including an os6 unit) and the drives do not make noises as you describe.
Message 2 of 4
I_Need_Help1
Aspirant

thanks for the reply, no I did not test them. They are both know working good disk as I took them out of my WHS system which was working fine...

The noise sounds like the heads loading or seeking, thus I assume the NAS is reading the disks for some reason.

I will test the disks at the weekend to be sure but it doesn't seem like that sort of noise to me.
Message 3 of 4
I_Need_Help1
Aspirant

Spoke to Netgear support and they say this normal for the RN102!
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements