× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Disk upgrade

Laserbait
Luminary

Disk upgrade

Hello,

My RN20400 is running OS 6.6.0, drives are in X-RAID mode

It used to have 4 drives in this configuration:

2TB | 4TB | 4TB | 4TB

I needed to upgrade the space, so I removed the 2TB disk, and replaced it with a 6TB disk (Seagate ST6000VN0021 IronWolf NAS).  When it got done with the resync, it was still reporting 9.08TB total capacity.   I was expecting something closer to 10.8TB.  Is there something else that I need to do?

Model: RN20400|4BAY Diskless Desktop Readynas Storage
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
Laserbait
Luminary

Re: Disk upgrade

So I tried replacing the disk, and no dice.  It resynced the array, but didn't expand it.  I finally just decided to do a backup of the config, did a factory reset, and restored the config and put my data back on.  10.9 TB total space now.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 8

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@Laserbait wrote:

Hello,

I was expecting something closer to 10.8TB.

I agree that is what you should be getting (12 TB, ~10.9 TiB).

Did you reboot the NAS after the resync?  That might trigger the vertical expansion.

Message 2 of 8
Laserbait
Luminary

Yeah, I did.  I thought I read somewhere here that a reboot was needed, but I can't remember where exactly (I need to bookmark more!).

Maybe another reboot will help shove it along in the right direction.  I really hope I don't have to nuke it, and start all over again.

Model: RN204|ReadyNAS 204
Message 3 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@Laserbait wrote:

Yeah, I did.  I thought I read somewhere here that a reboot was needed, but I can't remember where exactly (I need to bookmark more!).

Usually a reboot is only needed the first time a new RAID layer is added.  But that doesn't really apply to your case, the second RAID-layer was already in use on the three 4 TB drives.

But still, a couple of reboot tries might kick-start it.

Message 4 of 8
Laserbait
Luminary

So I rebooted and even did a full power cycle, no joy.   Still 9.08TB.

Now this looks a lot like my issue:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS/X-RAID-vertical-expansion-incomplete/td-p/11365...

Maybe mdgm could lay some of his wisdom upon me. 🙂

Message 5 of 8
StephenB
Guru

Another thing you could try is removing the drive and adding it again.  The NAS should detect it as "used" so you'd need to format it in order to add it to the volume.

Message 6 of 8
Laserbait
Luminary

So I tried replacing the disk, and no dice.  It resynced the array, but didn't expand it.  I finally just decided to do a backup of the config, did a factory reset, and restored the config and put my data back on.  10.9 TB total space now.

Message 7 of 8
FramerV
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Laserbait,

Thank you for sharing your resolution and/or workaround. We appreciate your contribution to the community. 

Feel free to post any suggestions, questions, recommendations or anything about your NAS that you think needs attention or will help others.

Regards,

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements