× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Do SMB Backup Jobs support share names that include a dollar sign?

Hugh_Jarse
Follower

Do SMB Backup Jobs support share names that include a dollar sign?

I've configured an SMB backup job that copies a file server share to the NAS's local disk. The share name is configured with a dollar sign ($) in the name, and that name is required to be able to access the share. Example: "\\server\ShareName$", but the backup job fails with the error "source cannot be mounted on the system". Are share paths that include a dollar sign not supported?

I can configure the backup job without any problems, and the "Test Connection" button reports a successful connection to the server (removing the dollar sign makes the connection test fail). However, when the backup job actually runs, the job fails.

Here's what I've tried so far, all without success:

• escape the dollar sign with a backslash (\) (the GUI seems to automatically convert this to a forward slash)
  • manually configure the backslash within the /etc/frontview/backup_jobs.conf file in order to escape the dollar sign
  • double-escaping the dollar sign with two backslashes via both the GUI and /etc/frontview/backup_jobs.conf
  • enclosing the entire <src_path> value in doublequotes within /etc/frontview/backup_jobs.conf

If I could figure out what commands are being run on the backend to actually mount the remote share, I might be able to troubleshoot this, but there seem to be no logs relating to smbclient, mount, or anything similar (I've tried searching recently modified files with "find / -mmin -60 -print"), if anyone could point me in the right direction, I'd be greatful.

Model: RN214|4 BAY Desktop ReadyNAS Storage
Message 1 of 2
StephenB
Guru

Re: Do SMB Backup Jobs support share names that include a dollar sign?

The $ in the sharename means it is an adminstrative share.

You could try escaping the $ in the NAS backup path with backslash (e.g., sharename\$ ). Putting the sharename in quotes might also help.

If those don't work, you'll need to use a sharename w/o the $.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements