× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Drive Compatibility & Expansion Related Issues

gosain
Aspirant

Drive Compatibility & Expansion Related Issues

I am planning to buy ReadyNAS RN104 Diskless because I already have 2x1TB hard drives. Specification for drives is:
"Samsung Barracuda Green HD105SI 1 Terabyte (1TB) SATA/300 5400RPM 32MB Hard Drive"

I have following questions to decide about buying RN104:

1) What is the compatibility of above mentioned hard drive?
2) If above hdd is compatible with RN104, then I would like to know any performance related issue.
3) What is the logic / process of expanding the storage space for ReadyNAS RN104?
4) What will happen if at later date I decide to put two 2TB Hard Drives?
5) What will happen if at later date I decide to put only one 2TB Hard Drive?

Any help material or guidance specific to RN104 will be much appreciated.

Thanks.
Message 1 of 25
StephenB
Guru

Re: Drive Compatibility & Expansion Related Issues

Those drives are not on the compatibility list - which is here: https://www.readynas.com/?page_id=82
They likely would work, but if you use drives that aren't on the HCL netgear can/will deny support.

Questions 3-5 are answered in the manual found here: http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/ ... pr2013.pdf
If you start with 2x1TB and use the default XRAID you would have 1 TB capacity.
Adding a third drive of 2 TB size would result in a 2 TB volume (1 TB of the new drive would be unused).
Adding a fourth drive of 2 TB size would result in 4 TB volume. 2 TB would provide redundancy, the rest would all be used for data.
Message 2 of 25
gosain
Aspirant

Hi StephenB,

I have the NAS RN104 with me now.
The 2x1 TB drives which I want to put have data in them. Please tell me the correct way to put new hard drive in it out of these:

1) Format the whole drive as single partition as NTFS?
or,
2) Remove all the partitions and let ReadyNAS format and manage the drive?

any other best suitable suggestion which you may think?

Thanks.

Update 1:

Resync is going on @ 0.5% per minute..
FW is 6.0.0

Meanwhile, when I tried to discover the device using ReadyCloud, although the device was detected in no time, joining is giving the error : "Device communication error. Failed to update device info. Would you like to retry" (links for screenshots are given below).

Is the reason of this error due to resnc?
Can someone tell me if above is not true then what could be the reason for this error?

Thanks.
Message 3 of 25
StephenB
Guru

Normally it is best to delete the partitions. The NAS is supposed to, but sometimes it doesn't.

Wait for the sync to complete, and then upgrade to at least 6.0.8 (or the current 6.1.1 beta), and then try ReadyCloud again. There are a lot of changes since 6.0.0.
Message 4 of 25
gosain
Aspirant

What should be the ideal strategy for upgrading the firmware in terms of preparation and safeguarding the existing data?
Message 5 of 25
StephenB
Guru

Ideally you have an up to date backup, so even something fails you won't lose any data. This applies to firmware upgrades and any changes you make to the disks (new insertions or replacements).

If you haven't yet put any data onto the NAS, just wait until you are running the new firmware before you begin loading it up.
Message 6 of 25
gosain
Aspirant

Thank you StephenB for your quick and to the point replies, really appreciate it.
Message 7 of 25
gosain
Aspirant

RN104 has been upgraded to latest firmware v6.08 and seems to be functioning fine. However, now the device discovery can not find the device on my LAN:
The device is registered with Netgear also. Can someone please tell me the reason of device being failed to join?

Thanks.

Message 8 of 25
gosain
Aspirant

The problem of device not being discovered is solved. I just needed to follow the instructions i.e. Press 'Backup' or 'OK' button for 5 seconds and then screen showed Discovery ON, that was it 🙂

Message 9 of 25
gosain
Aspirant

On 'Cloud' menu link of ReadyNAS panel, I see a green tick with 'Internet Connection' but also a red cross with 'Not Ready'. When I do mouse hover to a small [?] it says 'Unable to register device. Please contact support'. However, I have registered the device today.

Also, when I am trying to click on checkbox next to ReadyCloud, it pops-up to join but giving same credentials is giving error as 'Cannot join to ReadyCLOUD'.

Please help me to solve this problem.

Links of screenshots are given below:

At readycloud.netgear.com, I see the device is discovered:

But 'Manage' page does not show my device to manage:

Thanks.
Message 10 of 25
StephenB
Guru

I think "registering" the device with ReadyCloud is different from registering it on support.netgear.com.

Did you configure ReadyCloud on the cloud tab of the Web UI? If so, I suggest contacting support.
Message 11 of 25
sectoid
Aspirant

Hello,

I just bought a ReadyNAS 104 and am experiencing the exact same issue as your last post. I also went through the other problems you mentioned before, until I got stuck at the last one and found this topic. Have you found a solution yet? Thanks!

edit: to answer StephenB`s question, readycloud is disabled in the web UI. When we try to enable it, we get the error message "Cannot join to ReadyCloud" (the OP posted an image of it).
Message 12 of 25
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

sectoid, are you running the latest firmware?

Have you tried contacting support?
Message 13 of 25
sectoid
Aspirant

Hi mdgm, yes but I see there's a new update today, I'll try it.

I also contacted support, they suggested a few things and I'll try them too, but I've already done most of what was suggested. I'll update here after I finish.

Thanks for the reply 🙂
Message 14 of 25
sectoid
Aspirant

Well nothing helped. I'm now awaiting for a new response from support. I can access my ReadyCloud account from anywhere but inside the ReadyNAS. But then, It doesn't show any device since mine is not registered there =/
Message 15 of 25
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Can you attach your logs zip file to your case?
Message 16 of 25
sectoid
Aspirant

Man, the support guy seemed really good and knowing what he was talking about, but for the last two replies he gave me, he seemed to have forgotten the case and not read what I wrote. He's talking nonsense.

When I first replied here I thought the topic was from 2014. Only later I saw it's from 2013. I wish the OP would see this and just tell me if he found a solution =/

I don't want to copy my data over while ReadyCLOUD is not set up.

edit: I hadn't seen your last post before. Do you mean adding my logs to the support case or here? Anyway, I've added it to my support case. I've never created a user directly on the NAS, I've only tried to turn ReadyCLOUD on (using the switch image, that asks me for login and password and then throws the error). However, the logs show a user being deleted numerous times. This user has my ReadyCLOUD login as his name.
Message 17 of 25
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Your logs suggest that it is detecting an invalid user.

Generally starting new threads is cleaner and leads to less confusion (including a link to the similar thread if necessary). I can split your posts off into a new thread if you like.

I think there may have been some issues as we have been rolling out some upgrades to our servers.

Since this is a new setup and you haven't loaded data on yet perhaps if it's still not working on Monday you could try a factory reset (wipes all data, settings, everything) to get a clean setup on 6.1.9 (seeing that you have already upgraded to that) and then attempt to join ReadyCloud again?
Message 18 of 25
sectoid
Aspirant

Your first sentence seems unfinished, did you have any suggestion?

You can split my issue to another thread, no problem. I wrote here because it was the exact same thing and I didn't see that it was from last year, sorry.

This seems to be a long lasting bug since the OP had this last year. I noticed that the same thing happens to me as in this image (the red X, but mine says "Services Offline"):

The support guy asked me to do a OS reinstall. I tried that and it also didn't help. Before that, I tried creating a local user on the NAS with the same login name. It was created successfully but when I tried to turn ReadyCLOUD on, the user got deleted. This may be a more serious bug, I don't know how the NAS handles users but probably user data could be lost.

With all that it doesn't seem likely that waiting until monday will change much. I'll try the factory reset now and if it doesn't work, I'll try it again on monday to see if any of these upgrades on your servers help.
Message 19 of 25
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Oops, edited that post now. I had said what I wanted to say later in the post and had forgotten to clean up my post.

If we are doing upgrades to our relevant servers still that could temporarily affect your ability to register with ReadyCloud.
Message 20 of 25
sectoid
Aspirant

Ok, if it doesn't work, I'll try again monday. I have another question... I followed the quick setup instructions that came with the NAS, which led me to this problem. Do you think it would be better to, after the reset, just go straight to the NAS web UI and turn on ReadyCLOUD?
Message 21 of 25
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You could try that if you prefer, but I don't think that would make any difference.
Message 22 of 25
sectoid
Aspirant

The factory reset also didn't work. I think the problem is related to that "Services Offline" message on the cloud tab. It shows that the NAS's got internet access but it doesnt seem to be talking to the servers. Right after the initial configuration it says "Connecting...", then changes to "Services Offline" and keeps at that. If I refresh the page, it goes to "Connecting..." again and then "Services Offline". I can't understand how a brand new product can have this kind of problem, if it connects to the internet, it's either a software bug or a misconfiguration. But if it was a misconfiguration, it would happen to all.

My router is a Netgear R7000, also brand new, all default configuration.
Message 23 of 25
sectoid
Aspirant

The support case was escalated to level 3 and they asked me remote access to my machine and ssh access to the NAS. I'm not pleased with the remote access to my machine but I provided it because I can't waste any more time on this.
Message 24 of 25
sectoid
Aspirant

I've finally been able to pinpoint the problem myself, it was the new netgear nighthawk router. I've exchanged it for an old TP-Link router with DD-WRT firmware and all worked well.

The problem persists for me because I bought the Nighthawk to use it. I now know that it's having problems with other things like Netflix, all with default configurations. I tried updating the firmware, opening ports, setting DMZ mode and NAT filtering to open. Nothing fixes Netflix. However, after registering the ReadyNAS on ReadyCLOUD with the TP-Link router, I've never gotten the "Services Offline" message again, even when using the Nighthawk. Alas, the ReadyCLOUD interface cannot access the ReadyNAS when using Nighthawk.

Well at least I've found the culprit.

EDIT: forgot to say, support has not been much help. Level 2 was better than level 3, at least he replied me within a reasonable time.
Message 25 of 25
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 24 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements