× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Drive Swap from Ultra 2 Plus to RNDP6610 - 200NAS

CharlesR
Guide

Drive Swap from Ultra 2 Plus to RNDP6610 - 200NAS

OK I finally acquired an old school six bay unit... which should be here before long. I'm wondering if I can upgrade it to the same version of OS 6 with a spare drive and then swap my (single) drive from the Ultra 2 Plus into it?
Message 1 of 5
Pasala
Aspirant

Re: Drive Swap from Ultra 2 Plus to RNDP6610 - 200NAS

When you want to switch the firmwares and go to OS6 then it will delete all your files on the harddrive(s), because RAIDiator 4 uses a different file system.
It would probably be the best to do a backup of the single drive and copy the data then on the new system.
Message 2 of 5
CharlesR
Guide

Pasala wrote:
When you want to switch the firmwares and go to OS6 then it will delete all your files on the harddrive(s), because RAIDiator 4 uses a different file system.

I didn't make myself clear. The Ultra 2 Plus is already running OS 6.2 Beta. So I would upgrade the Pro to the same release (with a spare drive) and then swap.
Message 3 of 5
vandermerwe
Master

Should work.
Is the spare drive the same size or larger than the ultra 2 drive. If so, would be much more sensible to copy the data over your LAN.
The advice to make a backup before doing any of this is good advice.
Message 4 of 5
CharlesR
Guide

vandermerwe wrote:
The advice to make a backup before doing any of this is good advice.

I agree a backup is necessary. This data isn't of any real value and as such I'm not worried. I have done "the swap" several times with different units in the past and just wanted to be sure going from the Ultra 2 Plus to the Pro 6 didn't introduce any new wrinkles.
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements