× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Drive transfer

PaulioF
Aspirant

Drive transfer

Hi,

I have an Ultra 4 and want to move the drives over and use them in a Rnd-4D.

Will the drives just swap over or will I need to use a backup/re partition etc on the new box?

Thanks
Message 1 of 5
StephenB
Guru

Re: Drive transfer

@PaulioF wrote:
I have an Ultra 4 and want to move the drives over and use them in a Rnd-4D.

Will the drives just swap over or will I need to use a backup/re partition etc on the new box?

I don't know what model you mean by RND-4D.

if you have an ultra-4 running OS 4.2, then you can swap over your disks to other OS 4.2 systems (other ultras or pros).  All of those are discontinued models at this point.

But you can't migrate disks to OS 4.1, OS 5, or OS 6 platforms.

In the specific case of OS 6, you can temporarily mount the ultra volume as read-only in a new X86 NAS, so you can copy the data off. That is described here: https://kb.netgear.com/29957/ReadyNAS-Migrating-disks-from-RAIDiator-4-2-to-ReadyNAS-OS-6-x86

Message 2 of 5
Sandshark
Sensei

RND-4D is an RN104.  I doubt the 104 is a lot faster than the Ultra4.  I would have suggested migrating the Ultra4 to OS6 instead of getting the 104 if the Ultra is still functional.  Both do require re-formatting the drives.

Message 3 of 5
PaulioF
Aspirant

My main reason for changing is that the Ultra 4 seems to be running very hot lately and hoping that with the RN104 having an external power block may run cooler?

I'll have to look into OS6 as to be honest, I thought that the versions they had was the latest / best it was capable of (It's running something like 4.1.27 (off the top of my head!)
Message 4 of 5
StephenB
Guru

The RN104 is arm-based, so the migration link I posted above doesn't apply.  You'd need at least an RN 300 series (RN314) or perhaps an RN424.

@Sandshark wrote:

RND-4D is an RN104.  I doubt the 104 is a lot faster than the Ultra4. 

I think the RN104 is actually a bit slower than the ultra.  The RN214 (also arm-based) is definitely faster, particularly on writes.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements