× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

EXTREMELY confusing message when syncing a new drive. (I label it a bug.)

Sandshark
Sensei

EXTREMELY confusing message when syncing a new drive. (I label it a bug.)

I added a dirve to one of my RAID5 arrays on a rack mount system, and I knew the resync was going to take over 12 hours.  But, the log looks like this:

• Nov 11, 2019 10:16:56 AM  Disk: Disk in channel 12 (Internal) changed state from RESYNC to ONLINE.
  • Nov 11, 2019 10:13:51 AM  Volume: Resyncing started for Volume eda2.

And, a banner across the top says "The disk in Channel 12 (internal) changed state form RESYNC to ONLINE".  If I had email alerts enabled, I suspect I would have gotten one that said the same thing.

Uh, no; it absolutely did no such thing.  The OS partiton on that drive went from resync to online in 3 minutes, the main partition resync is still crunching away..  It is no wonder people are confused as to when it is safe to add/swap the next drive when doing a major expansion.

This board really needs a place to report bugs.  And, of course, someone assigned to monitor it.

Message 1 of 3
StephenB
Guru

Re: EXTREMELY confusing message when syncing a new drive. (I label it a bug.)

@Sandshark wrote:

I added a drive to one of my RAID5 arrays on a rack mount system, and I knew the resync was going to take over 12 hours.  But, the log looks like this:

• Nov 11, 2019 10:16:56 AM  Disk: Disk in channel 12 (Internal) changed state from RESYNC to ONLINE.

Uh, no; it absolutely did no such thing. The OS partiton on that drive went from resync to online in 3 minutes, the main partition resync is still crunching away.. 

It'd like messages like this to include the volume name.  And it would be good to include "OS partition" or "Swap partition" in the text in order to make it clear that the data volume isn't done yet.

@Sandshark wrote:

This board really needs a place to report bugs.  And, of course, someone assigned to monitor it.

I agree with that too. Asking people to contact support to report a bug is a broken system, especially since Netgear charges for support.

Message 2 of 3
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: EXTREMELY confusing message when syncing a new drive. (I label it a bug.)

@StephenB wrote:

It'd like messages like this to include the volume name.  And it would be good to include "OS partition" or "Swap partition" in the text in order to make it clear that the data volume isn't done yet.

Typically, when a data volume resync is complete, the messages do name it.  Oddly, my recently created new one, which resulted in the message I quoted, did not state that it started or completed sync in either the banner or the log.  I know I've seen that early message before, and I don't recall if I also did not receive a message about the real data volume completing.  I normally just watch for it on the Volumes page.

If it matters (and I think it may), this has only happened on a multi-volume unit..   But the lack of a notice on the data volume resync not occurring does not always happen.  Since the notification on the "disk" completing resync isn't in the log, I don't recall if it always happens or not.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements