× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Exclude Recycle Bin from Back up

DeeCee521
Aspirant

Exclude Recycle Bin from Back up

I have googled and googled, tried and tried. :oops: and canot find the solution.

How do I exclude the CIFS Recycle Bin from rsync. I have tried ,"Recycle Bin",'Recycle Bin',Recycle\ Bin and all manner in between and cannot stop the flow. Yes I can get rid of the file on the NAS, however, this is an offsite backup and would prefer to not have the traffic and time over the internet. Large graphics files are changed daily so it it amounts to a lot of traffic.

I apologize for the basic question in advance, but I can't find a solution.

TIA
Message 1 of 8
vandermerwe
Master

Re: Exclude Recycle Bin from Back up

What readynas do you have and which firmware are you running?
Do you have problems excluding other folders with spaces in their names or is it only Recycle Bin?

Perhaps test this with a test folder with a space in the name.
Recycle\ Bin should work.
Message 2 of 8
fastfwd
Virtuoso

DeeCee52 wrote:
How do I exclude the CIFS Recycle Bin from rsync. I have tried ,"Recycle Bin",'Recycle Bin',Recycle\ Bin

Recycle Bin/
No quotes, no backslashes.
Message 3 of 8
DeeCee521
Aspirant

vandermerwe wrote:
What readynas do you have and which firmware are you running?
Do you have problems excluding other folders with spaces in their names or is it only Recycle Bin?

Perhaps test this with a test folder with a space in the name.
Recycle\ Bin should work.

I'm using a NV+ v1 using the latest firmware, pulling from an Ultra 4+ using the latest firmware. I tried the Recycle\ Bin and it didn't work. I have been able to exclude the snapshot folders. The Recycle Bin is the second instruction after snapshot, ie
snapshot,Recycle\ Bin

Do I need a trailing comma?

@fastfwd, I'll give it a try. I thought I had tried that first, but I may have had a capitalization error.
Message 4 of 8
vandermerwe
Master

I, and at least one other user, have also had problems with lists of folders to exclude:

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=53260

It suggests that this was a known problem that should have been fixed.

Can you test to see if Recycle\ Bin works if it is the only folder to be excluded?
Message 5 of 8
DeeCee521
Aspirant

vandermerwe wrote:
I, and at least one other user, have also had problems with lists of folders to exclude:

http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic ... 31&t=53260

It suggests that this was a known problem that should have been fixed.

Can you test to see if Recycle\ Bin works if it is the only folder to be excluded?

I'll give it a try. It will have to wait until I get to the offsite.
Message 6 of 8
DeeCee521
Aspirant

I have only included
Recycle\ Bin in the exclude box.
So far, it has not touched the Recycle Bin. It has gone from Photos to Reference and in the directory the recycle bin sits in between and my other log entries go in directory order. It is now taking a while to go through some reference changes.

Seems to have excluded it this time. I will try and add the snapshot folder and see if it works that way.
Message 7 of 8
fastfwd
Virtuoso

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements