× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Expand 2x1TB Raid 1 to 2x4TB Raid 1

rv10947
Aspirant

Expand 2x1TB Raid 1 to 2x4TB Raid 1

I currently have 2x 1TB disks running in Raid1. The other two slots are running in Raid0, so all bays are full. 

I want to expand my Raid1 capacity to 4 TB, so I bought 2x 4TB disks. Can I just take the 1TB disk out whilst running and replace it with a 4TB one. Wait for resync and then repeat this step with the other one?

Model: RN104|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
rv10947
Aspirant

Re: Expand 2x1TB Raid 1 to 2x4TB Raid 1

So I found the solution and it's pretty easy. I just hot swapped a 1TB disk for a 4TB. Data will resync automatically. And then after repair of data I did the same thing again. After the second repair it showed 4TB of total capacity automatically. Great!

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 6

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@rv10947 wrote:

Can I just take the 1TB disk out whilst running and replace it with a 4TB one. Wait for resync and then repeat this step with the other one?

Yes, that is what you need to do to start.

Since you are running FlexRaid you'll need to then create a new RAID-1 group to use the extra space and concatenate it to the existing volume.

Message 2 of 6
Sandshark
Sensei

@StephenB wrote:

Since you are running FlexRaid you'll need to then create a new RAID-1 group to use the extra space and concatenate it to the existing volume.

Please report back if this works.  Maybe it's because I have a 12-bay legacy system converted to OS6 or because I didn't replace all the drives with larger ones, but I have not found a way to do that other than "under the hood" via SSH.

Message 3 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@Sandshark wrote:

@StephenB wrote:

Please report back if this works.  Maybe it's because I have a 12-bay legacy system converted to OS6 or because I didn't replace all the drives with larger ones, but I have not found a way to do that other than "under the hood" via SSH.

If it doesn't work, you'll need to back up the volume, destroy it, create a new one (recreating any shares), and then restore the files from the backup.

Or attempt to expand the volume with ssh.

Message 4 of 6
Sandshark
Sensei

@StephenB wrote:

Or attempt to expand the volume with ssh.

If you end up going this way, see my post How-to-do-incremental-vertical-expansion-in-FlexRAID-mode .  Though I wrote it for incremental expansion, it will work for a full volume expansion as well.

Message 5 of 6
rv10947
Aspirant

So I found the solution and it's pretty easy. I just hot swapped a 1TB disk for a 4TB. Data will resync automatically. And then after repair of data I did the same thing again. After the second repair it showed 4TB of total capacity automatically. Great!

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements