× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

FAN problem after upgrade from 4.2.28 to 6.5.0 T338

Stan78
Aspirant

FAN problem after upgrade from 4.2.28 to 6.5.0 T338

Hi All. My first post but been reading from many days.

Recently i bought my Netgear NAS, that is RNDP6310-200 which is (by all signs) PRO6 v2, running 6xWD 2TB disks.

On 4.2.28 temps were - CPU 35-38 'C , System 45-55 'C (depending on situation, but what is more important, the fans work was smooth (gradual increasing/decreasing the speed, no sudden stops/starts).

I upgraded to 6.5.0 T338 using this link: readynas dot com/contributed/mdgm/r4tor6/  and following this thread:  https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS/OS6-now-works-on-x86-Legacy-WARNING-NO-NTGR-SUP...

I intended to upgrade to 6.3.5 as I found on forum this is the best one to start upgrade process with, but supricingly all files stored on above link were identical (6.5.0) despite the different names.

Everything went ok, system is alive and much faster than on old software.

So now it is stock PRO6v2 (1 gig ram and Intel e5300) with OS6.5.0.

But:

CPU temp seems to be similar to what was before, but system temp is way higher - over 60 'C while iddle (at least this is what reading on frontpage says). The fan became yo-yo - changing speed from about 400 to 2000 and back every minute or so...  So it is like quiet, noice, quiet noice and it lasts all the time.

Also, I'm being flooded with system emails saying "Fan System in enclosure Internal speed is below threshold. (xxx rpm)."  -  where xxx stands for any number from 400 to 500 range

There is a lot of threats regarding similar problems, but the solution is inconclusive and after few days, I still have concerns and lact of knowledge what to do to sole my issue.

Any help would be great.

Model: ReadyNASRNDP6310v2|ReadyNAS Pro 6
Message 1 of 23

Accepted Solutions
Skywalker
NETGEAR Expert

Re: FAN problem after upgrade from 4.2.28 to 6.5.0 T338

OK, I see what's going on.  Thanks for the logs.  Strangely, your fan speed is drifting lower, without us ever adjusting it.  It appears to be correlated with disk spindown, but I really don't know why that would have an effect.  Anyway, we'll have a change in RC2 that should knock this out once and for all.

View solution in original post

Message 23 of 23

All Replies
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Have you tried changing the fan mode to the cool setting?

Message 2 of 23
Stan78
Aspirant

Hi, and thank you for the answer.

Yes, in fact I did. I went through all 3 modes:

quiet - makes yo-yo of the syetem fan and emails are sent every 20 minutes or so

balanced - I'd say less yo-yo, more tornado (comparing to the quiet mode), plus emails

cool - sounds like 5th class tornado - but not much drop in temperature reading (which is obvieusly false high), but no emails

This is all about system fan and temp reading.

CPU fan/reading seems to be fine and realiable.

It is probably worth to note, that emails are regarding fan speed being too low, not regarding temp.

Message 3 of 23
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Please send me your logs (see the Sending Logs link in my sig).

Message 4 of 23
Stan78
Aspirant

Hi again. I just sent the log following the instruction given. Thank you !:)

Message 5 of 23
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I have sent you a PM.

Message 6 of 23
Supertramp11
Luminary

Is there anything relevant to consider for other PRO 6 users who would want to upgrade from 6.4.2?

Many thanks in advance.

Message 7 of 23
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Well this problem may/may not be isolated to Stan78's system. It would need a quick remote look at his system to confirm what's going on on his system.

Message 8 of 23
Stan78
Aspirant

Halo,

Mdgm - I just responded your PM 🙂 thank youu !!

To keep this up to date, I can not figure out whatis wrong.

I dissasembled the box completly, cleaned from dust, cleaned fans, put some oil to its axies.

I quiter, but still yo yo

Also put 2nd ram bar - have 2 gig total now.

I restarted the box and....

for 3 days it was ok. heavy used, cpu 32-36 'c / 1700 rpm and quiet , system 50-60 'C / 1000-1300 RPM and quiet.  - no yo yo ;)!! no alert emails

Today I resterted the box again ... And yoyo and emails are back...

system says 490-550 and keep sending emails.

2nd restart - the same, 3rd restart.... ok back again... 800-1000 rpm (on system) and stable - no yoyo no emails...

it looks like something didn't work after first restart.... but what ??

Wierd is that regarding of situation, the CPU fan shows almost stable 1600-1700...

It is system fan which is giving trouble... (this is info from front page).

But when it does yoyo and starts creazy spinning, it is CPU fan not system (tested by stoping the fans with a wire).

So...  cpu fan is starting to give noice and spins faster, while frontpage says it is system fan which goes too low...

I'm a bit confused now...

Otherwise, I'm happy with the change. System is a lot faster, and looks better 🙂

Thanks

Stan

Message 9 of 23
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Are you sure when you opened the box that a fan connector didn't come loose?

Message 10 of 23
Stan78
Aspirant

Yes,

The problem started before I opened the box, just after I bought it (second hand).

The plugs were tight - had to use flat screw driver to disconnect them.

I'm not sure if they are in right spots tough.

The CPU fan (4 wires) is connected to the upper right corner of the MB (looking from outside the box.)

The system fan (biggest) is connected (3 wires) to the rightmost socket of the small board (closer to CPU), while leftmost socket is empty.

I know there was some problem with the connections and Netgear piblished instructions how fans should be connected, but can't find it anymore...

Message 11 of 23
Stan78
Aspirant

Ok... another observation...

This is all about ststem fan (not CPU). CPU is working fine.

I took is to my desk and was looking and waiting...

System fan is indeed turning very very slow... I can see the blades and I'm almost able to count them while they are turning... So it turns definetly too slow...

Every few minutes, it starts to turn at full speed ( I think), making bad noice or air.

After 2-3 minutes it slows down again...

Then everything repeets.

Is it possible to set minimum speed to say 600 - 700 rpm ? Not fixed speed but minimum.. So it could turn faster, but not slower than ... rpm?

Message 12 of 23
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

This is probably fixed now.  You appeared to keep rebooting the

unit for some reason while debugging was taking place, and eventually shut off
remote access; so we could never verify if some changes made actually fixed your system.

Anyway, your fan seems to respond much slower than normal to PWM changes,
which was the root cause of the issue.

Setting the minimum speed to a lower level than what we have hardcoded as the minimum is not something we would support doing and could lead to the system overheating.
Message 13 of 23
Stan78
Aspirant

Hi,

I've had power option enabled, to turn the unit off for overnight (midnight till 8am), so probably it worked while you were loged in.

Also, I just found that remote access is unticked (I did not turn it off - just enabled it again in case you may want to check if solution was working.

The server itself was not rebooted - but log says some background services were restarted many times.

Tue Apr 19 2016 6:18:05
System: ReadyNASOS background service started.
Tue Apr 19 2016 0:00:10
System: The system is shutting down.
Mon Apr 18 2016 23:01:49
Mon Apr 18 2016 23:01:12
System: ReadyNASOS service or process was restarted.
Mon Apr 18 2016 22:51:11
Mon Apr 18 2016 22:50:34
Mon Apr 18 2016 22:48:20
Mon Apr 18 2016 22:47:43
Mon Apr 18 2016 22:43:13
Mon Apr 18 2016 22:42:36
Mon Apr 18 2016 22:42:20
Mon Apr 18 2016 22:42:04
Mon Apr 18 2016 22:38:07
System: Fan System in enclosure Internal speed is below threshold. (540 rpm).
Mon Apr 18 2016 22:27:47
System: Fan System in enclosure Internal speed is below threshold. (496 rpm).
Mon Apr 18 2016 22:25:19
Mon Apr 18 2016 22:24:42
Mon Apr 18 2016 22:03:53
System: Fan System in enclosure Internal speed is below threshold. (537 rpm).
Mon Apr 18 2016 21:50:26
Mon Apr 18 2016 21:48:55
System: The system is rebooting.
Mon Apr 18 2016 21:46:43
System: Application htop is installed successfully.
Mon Apr 18 2016 21:43:10
System: Fan System in enclosure Internal speed is below threshold. (502 rpm).
Mon Apr 18 2016 21:39:57
Mon Apr 18 2016 21:39:20
Mon Apr 18 2016 21:38:37
System: Fan System in enclosure Internal speed is below threshold. (461 rpm).
Mon Apr 18 2016 21:35:25
Mon Apr 18 2016 21:34:48
Mon Apr 18 2016 21:29:47

Anyway - I'm leaving unit enabled and will see what will happen.

Many thanks for your effort guys! 🙂

edit: while I mentioned about speeds adjustments, I was thinking opposite - to set the minimum speed theshold higher than default, in order to force faster spinning. I'd never propose to toast or burn my drives 🙂

Message 14 of 23
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Well 600-700 rpm would be below the default minimum.

Let us know whether/not you still have problems with the fan speed now that some changes have been applied on your system.

Message 15 of 23
Stan78
Aspirant

Well, I have no accessto the box right now, only through readycloud...it shows status but no rpm's nor temp. But I suppose it is ok as when rpm's go down, system status dot goes red with description 'system bad'.. so far it is green.

However, in the morning (till say 11 cet) i was getting alert emails

Message 16 of 23
Stan78
Aspirant

Ok... so I tested the box... and I'm a bit confused here...

It can be a few hours with no errors, and then next few hours with problems and emails (all regarding system fan)...

If it works well (no errors, rpm about 800) and I restart the box, the errors starts to be sent...

Then if I copy something heavy to / from the box so its temperature rises a bit, usually it helps and next few hours I have no problems...

I noticed that when I have this problem (low rpm and emails) the didks temperature is not displayed in Performance / Status...

I can see then disks dots (green) number, model and capacity but no temperature...

If there is a time when rpm probmel is gone, then I also can see the disks temperature then...

Maybe this would help to trace the cause?

I was thinking if replacinf the fan would help, but this one seems to be ok... at least I think so...

Can you give me a clueif there is something, config file or adjustment method so I can play with it ?

I know linux a bit 🙂 and have ssh access to the box.

I did no try the methods advertised for 6.0 or 6.2.4 as I fount they are not working anymore with 6.5...

Message 17 of 23
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Some further changes have been applied on your box now that the remote access is back up again.

Please let us know how it goes.

Message 18 of 23
island_mark
Aspirant

Hi

I think I am experiencing identical issues to those reported by the original poster.

The box is a Readynas pro business edition that was updated to 6.5.0 - T338

The box and all fans were carefully cleaned before applying the update but now the system fan seems to run very slowly. When it runs below threshold the System temp climbs to 65 and then the fan kicks in and brings it down to 55-56. I believe it used to run cooler than this with OS 4

The errors taht I am getting are all Fan System in Enclosure Internal Spedd is below threshold (405 - 555rpm)

My fan connetions are identical to the OP - the system fan connects to the MB, not the IO board. 

Message 19 of 23
Stan78
Aspirant

Ok I'm back... I let it run for a few days before I report something.  Also did a few restarts to make check how it works.

It is better... far better...  Altough it still has this issue 2 maybe 3 times a day, the frequency is much much lower... One email and one loud moment then 10-12 hour is ok then again one email... I can live with that 🙂 So thank you so much for help.

What I'd like to know is what / where has been changed in order to make a backup of the settings.

Do not want to loose this cure while upgrading or doing factory reset.

As for hardware setup (this is regarding to previous post), my CPU fan is connected by 4 wire plug to the matherboard, while SYSTEM fan (the big one) is connected to right socket on the small IO board by 3 wire plug.

However, nowhere in the frontend can I see the temperature / speed for the power supply.

As there is (in total) 3 fans, I suppose this should be 3 indicators... - I have just two...

Anyway, thank you very much guys!!

Message 20 of 23
Skywalker
NETGEAR Expert

@Stan78 wrote:

... it still has this issue 2 maybe 3 times a day, the frequency is much much lower... One email and one loud moment then 10-12 hour is ok then again one email... 

Can you send in your logs?

What I'd like to know is what / where has been changed in order to make a backup of the settings.

Do not want to loose this cure while upgrading or doing factory reset.

The changes are already there in 6.5.0-RC1.  Your system has some additional debug logging enabled, but that is the only difference in fan control from 6.5.0-RC1.

However, nowhere in the frontend can I see the temperature / speed for the power supply.

As there is (in total) 3 fans, I suppose this should be 3 indicators... - I have just two...

The PSU fan is internal to the PSU, and is not capable of being monitored by software.  So we cannot represent its state in the GUI.

Message 21 of 23
Stan78
Aspirant

Thank you for the answer.

Just sent the logs as requested.

Thank you.

Message 22 of 23
Skywalker
NETGEAR Expert

OK, I see what's going on.  Thanks for the logs.  Strangely, your fan speed is drifting lower, without us ever adjusting it.  It appears to be correlated with disk spindown, but I really don't know why that would have an effect.  Anyway, we'll have a change in RC2 that should knock this out once and for all.

Message 23 of 23
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 22 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements