× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Fan Loud

Strung
Aspirant

Fan Loud

Hello,

I have recent issue with my setup. I start my readynas RN102 and the fan is loud.

I have investigate problem and see in monitoring page one of disk with no temperature display.

The faulty disk has been removed from the box and fan is now silent. If i plug it again, the fan becomes loud again. I have tried to reboot but no sucess, the fan is loud again with the sceond disk connected.

DO you think this disk is out of order or can i update something like firmware to resolve issue ?

The model is old but in compatibility hardware disk (Seagate ST1000DM003), can i changed it for a new reference like ST1000DM010 associated to the first disk of the raid (ST1000DM003 too) ?

Thans for your help.

Regards

Model: RN10200|ReadyNAS 100 Series 2- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 15
StephenB
Guru

Re: Fan Loud

I don't think this is about the ReadyNAS firmware - but just in case, what firmware are you running?

Message 2 of 15
yxue
NETGEAR Expert

Hi, When you plug the second disk in, it maybe doing resync. If so, Fan may be loud. If after volume is synced, fan is still loud, try to set the fan mode to 'Quite' on UI>System>Performance>Status.

Message 3 of 15
Strung
Aspirant

Hi,

I was thinking update the firmware of hard drive. I don't think this issue ils relatée to readynas.

The fan has always been setup on silent.

Message 4 of 15
Strung
Aspirant

I am runing the last stable firmware 6.9.5

Message 5 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@Strung wrote:

I was thinking update the firmware of hard drive. I don't think this issue ils relatée to readynas.

The fan has always been setup on silent.

I doubt that updating the drive firmware will matter. 

Are you seeing a rise in disk temps when the fan is loud?  I realize that you aren't always seeing the temps reported.

@Strung wrote:

I have investigate problem and see in monitoring page one of disk with no temperature display.

Do you have disk spindown enabled?  I believe you will see this behavior when a drive is spun down.

Message 6 of 15
Strung
Aspirant

If i replug the faulty disk, the fan is loud (3200 tr/min) after few minutes and I see :

- 25 °c for first disk

- 122°C for second disk

- 50°C for CPU

I have disabled spin down but same result. 

If I remove the faulty disk, the fan becomes silent after few minutes (700tr/min).

I a using this setup since 4 years without a problem... Strange

Do you think i can associated the fist disk st1000dm003 with a st100dm001 (same capacity but not in hardware compatilibty) to rebuild X-RAID ?

Message 7 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@Strung wrote:

- 122°C for second disk

If I remove the faulty disk, the fan becomes silent after few minutes (700tr/min).

Is disk 2 the "faulty disk"?  Have you checked how hot it is when you remove it?

@Strung wrote:

Do you think i can associated the fist disk st1000dm003 with a st100dm001 (same capacity but not in hardware compatilibty) to rebuild X-RAID ?

That will work, but generally I recommend either NAS-purposed or enterprise class drives (for instance, Seagate Ironwolf or Ironwolf Pro).  WDC Red, WDC Red Pro are also good options.

Message 8 of 15
Strung
Aspirant

Yes second disk is faulty one, it is warm but not hot !

Message 9 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@Strung wrote:

Yes second disk is faulty one, it is warm but not hot !

Possibly it's temperature sensor is faulty.  It's simplest to just replace it.

Message 10 of 15
Strung
Aspirant

I correct last answer, when the fan is loud with second disk. The disk is not warm.

How can i replace temp sensor ?

Message 11 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@Strung wrote:

How can i replace temp sensor ?

You can't.  It's inside the disk.

You could try powering down, and removing disk 1 - booting up with only disk 2 installed (in slot 2).  Then see if you also get the same result with the fan (and confirm that the disk actually boots). 

Message 12 of 15
Strung
Aspirant

Hello,

I have tried to boot with just second idsk inserted in NAS and I have the same problem with fan loud.

I have inserted in a computer and try the seatools from Seagate. A long repair has been executed with success and SMART is responding but I have always 144 °C for the disk. But it is cold if I touch it with my hand...

I think I will replace it if no more action can be performed.

If you have any idea...

Message 13 of 15
Strung
Aspirant

Hello,

I have replaced the faulty disk by a new one (ST1000DM010): Raid is now sync and no loud fan anymore.

I have setup the faulty disk in a computer and it works perfectly but Information of this disk give me 111°C...

Problem is resolved.

Message 14 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@Strung wrote:

I have setup the faulty disk in a computer and it works perfectly but Information of this disk give me 111°C...

Maybe RMA the disk to Seagate (assuming it is under warranty).  Though if you just purchased it, you should exchange it with the seller (since that would give you a new drive, and not a recertified one with a shorter warranty).

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements