× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

First Hard Drive expantion question

Gandalf913
Aspirant

First Hard Drive expantion question

Hi all.

I am hoping this is a nice a simple and easy question.

I am running a ReadyNAS 104 and have updated to 6.4.2

Currently have 2x 2TB drives

I am about to fill the two remaining bays with two more 2TB drives.

Question.

Can i put them both in at the same time or must I do one at a time, and do I put them in live (power on) or with the power off?

And as a side note I am close to full of the current 2TB storage. Any idea (ball park) how long the sync or syncs will take?

Thanks for any help

Model: RN104|ReadyNAS 100 Series
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: First Hard Drive expantion question

It will process them one at a time anyway, so I suggest inserting one, waiting for it to complete, and then adding the second.  Then if something were to go wrong, you'd know exactly where it was.

Hot-insert (NAS running).  The disks should be unformatted. 

I think it will be around 16 hours per drive (though the first one could be faster than the second).

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

It will process them one at a time anyway, so I suggest inserting one, waiting for it to complete, and then adding the second.  Then if something were to go wrong, you'd know exactly where it was.

Hot-insert (NAS running).  The disks should be unformatted. 

I think it will be around 16 hours per drive (though the first one could be faster than the second).

Message 2 of 5
Gandalf913
Aspirant

Thanks ever so much. The new drives arrive today so fingers crossed I wount have any probs and by the weekend have alot more space to play with.

Thanksa again

Ian

Message 3 of 5
Gandalf913
Aspirant

Final Update.

Just wanted to say thank you again.

If any one would like to know for referance in the furture. 2x2TB drives with 1.47TB of data.

Brand new unformated drives inserted live (NAS powered on)

First new 2TB drive took just under 21 hours to go over to Raid 5

Did a restart and all looked happy.

Second new drive took 22 hours to compleat.

Now happly running 4x2TB drives

Thanks again.

Ian

Message 4 of 5
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Gandalf913,

We greatly appreciate your feedback letting us know if the information we provided has helped resolve your issue or if you need further assistance. 

If your issue is now resolved we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accept as Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution.

The Netgear community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements