× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Full root issue

lundmilo
Luminary

Full root issue

I have seem some posts regarding the full root issue.

How can I check the state of my root and how do I avoid running into the issue?

Model: RN204|ReadyNAS204
Message 1 of 8
ctechs
Apprentice

Re: Full root issue

You can download the system logs and open the volume.log file with a text editor. Scroll down until you see something like this:

=== df -h ===
Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
udev             10M  4.0K   10M   1% /dev
/dev/md0        4.0G  560M  2.9G  17% /
tmpfs           1.9G     0  1.9G   0% /dev/shm
tmpfs           1.9G  2.8M  1.9G   1% /run
tmpfs           960M  7.5M  953M   1% /run/lock
tmpfs           1.9G     0  1.9G   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
/dev/md127       11T  4.6T  6.4T  42% /data
/dev/md127       11T  4.6T  6.4T  42% /home
/dev/md127       11T  4.6T  6.4T  42% /apps

/dev/md0 is the root file system. It should have plenty of free space (< 50% used, and I've never seen ours hit even 20%, but we don't run many apps either).

Message 2 of 8
jak0lantash
Mentor

@lundmilo wrote:

How can I check the state of my root and how do I avoid running into the issue?

Full root conditions are most of the times created by badly built applications or modifying the system via SSH. This is not something you need to be particularly worried about. People come here because they have issues, I doesn't mean that every ReadyNAS owners have the same issues.

You can use SSH non-intrusively to check the status as well as via the logs (look at md0): 

df -h
Message 3 of 8
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

If you have updated to 6.7.3 and ran into the full root issue please try USB Boot Recovery with ReadyNAS OS 6.7.4 which is now available!

If you have not yet upgraded please upgrade to 6.7.4 rather than 6.7.3. If your system has already been fixed or has not run into the issue I would still suggest updating to 6.7.4 the normal way using the web admin GUI.

Message 4 of 8
lundmilo
Luminary

@ctechs wrote:

You can download the system logs and open the volume.log file with a text editor. Scroll down until you see something like this:

=== df -h ===
Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
udev             10M  4.0K   10M   1% /dev
/dev/md0        4.0G  560M  2.9G  17% /
tmpfs           1.9G     0  1.9G   0% /dev/shm
tmpfs           1.9G  2.8M  1.9G   1% /run
tmpfs           960M  7.5M  953M   1% /run/lock
tmpfs           1.9G     0  1.9G   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
/dev/md127       11T  4.6T  6.4T  42% /data
/dev/md127       11T  4.6T  6.4T  42% /home
/dev/md127       11T  4.6T  6.4T  42% /apps

/dev/md0 is the root file system. It should have plenty of free space (< 50% used, and I've never seen ours hit even 20%, but we don't run many apps either).

Well mine is at 52%. Is this a bad thing?

Message 5 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@lundmilo wrote:

My system is at 19%.

52% isn't great, and suggests you've installed some apps that are using OS partition space.  However, it isn't dangerously full, so I don't see immediate concerns.

Message 6 of 8
lundmilo
Luminary

@StephenB wrote:

@lundmilo wrote:

My system is at 19%.

52% isn't great, and suggests you've installed some apps that are using OS partition space.  However, it isn't dangerously full, so I don't see immediate concerns.

I have netstat NT running. I also have Logitech Media Server and ReadyNas Surveillance installed but they are not running.

Message 7 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@lundmilo wrote:

I have netstat NT running. I also have Logitech Media Server and ReadyNas Surveillance installed but they are not running.

Normally apps are installed to the data volume, which is mounted as /apps in the OS partition.  I'm guessing that some of your apps aren't installed that way, and that explains the 52%.

One trick that often works is to move app folders that are in the OS partition to the data partition, and then replace the original folder with a soft link. 

But as I said, 52% isn't dangerously full, just at a level where you should monitor it.  My pro (running 4.2.x firmware) is at 48%, due to the way I installed crashplan.  I could reduce it, but it is stable so I just keep an eye on it.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements