× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Future for ReadyNas

JanHussaarts2
Apprentice

Future for ReadyNas

In 2020 I bought a RN426 (24TB) to replace my Ultra 6 (12TB). I am still using both. When RNXtras (https://rnxtras.com/) stopped supporting the ReadyNAS, and it lookes like Netgear has stopped also, It is no longer justified to continue with the ReasyNas equipment.

Is there any chance that a newer release of the OS will become avalaible within a couple of months?

That we will get rid of Jessie and move on to a recent version of Debian?

If not, I suppose I have to move to another solution.

It feels like a waist of time and money, since at the moment all is running well.

Message 1 of 4
schumaku
Guru

Re: Future for ReadyNas

@JanHussaarts2 wrote:

Is there any chance that a newer release of the OS will become available within a couple of months?

Extremely unlikely. We have hit the end of the road for ReadyNAS.

@JanHussaarts2 wrote:

Some community effort became visible the last months. No Web UI currently. But this is it for now.

Message 2 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@schumaku wrote:

@JanHussaarts2 wrote:

Is there any chance that a newer release of the OS will become available within a couple of months?

I'm guessing one or two updates, with some security updates, and perhaps a couple of clean-up things (pointing the repos to the debian archive, to eliminate the need for doing that manual, etc).  But I don't see them migrating to a newer version of Debian - too much effort for end-of-life platforms.

@schumaku wrote:

@JanHussaarts2 wrote:

Some community effort became visible the last months. No Web UI currently. But this is it for now.

See https://github.com/RustyDust/readynas-alpine

This is being done by @WhoCares_ (who also ran rnxtras).  Definitely still a work-in-progress, so not something to apply to a NAS in active use.

Message 3 of 4
JanHussaarts2
Apprentice

I recently bought the 8Gb version of the ZIMA Board. It is my intention to use my 2 Netgear NAS systems as file servers and use this board as a frondend to them.I'll probably by a 4-port NIC to do this.

At least I will be able to run recent versions of OwnCloud, PLex, etc.

The ZIMA Board by default runs CasaOS. Is there any reason to switch to another Linux implementation?

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements