× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

GlusterFS on the ReadyNAS HOWTO

vk2tds
Aspirant

GlusterFS on the ReadyNAS HOWTO

The following document describes how to install Gluster on a Netgear ReadyNAS RN314. It mostly applies to the RN104 as well, but there might be some changes. In my casse, I have a RN314 as a master and a RN104 as a slave. Both have four 2TB HDDs, running in the Gluster equivalent of a JBOD array.

In order to do backups, I decided to RSYNC from the RN314 to the RN104 periodically. This suits my data storage requirements. Periodically means probably once a day. I have not yet managed to get Geo Replication working, so RSYNC is how I am doing things. I intend to improve my RSYNC script so that it WOL (Wakes On Lan) the RN104, copies any files, and then shuts it down.

This document assumes a few things:

The gluster instance is called homevol
    2TB HDDs
    Gluster is being run without redundancy

If these assumptions are not right, take even more care!

The first step is to install a HDD in the RN. Do this in accordance with the manuals. This is important since the operating system is actually installed onto the HDD.

Once this is complete, log into the RN and perform the following steps:

Under Overview|Device, Set the system time
    Under System|Settings, enable SSH
    Under System|Settings, configure Alerts
    Configure your Network. You may wish to set an MTU of 9000 for improved performance
    Change the Admin password

From now on, things are going to get strange! The next step is to SSH into the machine. The account you need to SSH into is actually root, and uses the Admin password:

ssh root@<IP-ADDRESS>

We need to install some software now

apt-get install joe			# My preferred editor
apt-get install parted # fdisk replacement
apt-get install gluster??? # Gluster itself

Create some mount points for the HDDs. These are my preferred locations

mkdir /mnt
mkdir /mnt/disk001
mkdir /mnt/disk002
mkdir /mnt/disk003
mkdir /mnt/disk004

Also do a df to see what is mounted. You should see several instances of md127 mounted.

df -h	

Then backup the md127 raid array

tar -cf /data.tar /data

Now, we need to unmount md127.

umount /dev/md127
umount /dev/md127
umount /dev/md127

It is needed three times since it is mounted in three locations. You may need to force the unmount, in the form of

umount -f /dev/md127

You can then check that it is unmounted

df -h

Now we need to run the parted disk partition software. I must admit that I am not too familiar with this tool

parted /dev/sda

Once we are in parted, we need to do the following. The actual commands will be added later:

rm 3												#remove partition 3
mkpart starting at 4833MB and ending at 9999 MB #This is for md127
set 3 raid on # Indicate that this is a RAID
mkpart starting at 10000MB ext4 ending at 2000GB # This is our master data

Format the storage partition

mkfs.ext4 /dev/sda4

Now, we need to create the md127 partition again

mdadm --create /dev/md127 /dev/sda3 --level=mirror --raid-devices =1 --force

And format it

mkfs.ext4 /dev/md127

Now, we need to tell the RN what do do with this. So the following lines need to be added to /etc/fstab

/dev/md127	/data		ext4	defaults	0 0
/data/.apps /apps ext4 bind 0 0
/data/home /home ext4 bind 0 0

Now mount them

mount -a

And check to see if they have been mounted

df -h

Now, we need to recreate the /data partition, and get Apps working again

cd /
tar -xf /data.tar

It might be a good idea to reboot at this point, just so that Apache does not get itself confused.

Once this is done, add the following line to /etc/fstab

/dev/sda4	/mnt/disk001	ext4	defaults	0 0

Of course, change the mount point to whatever you think is logical.

This can then be mounted with the following command:

mount -a

It is now time to get Gluster up and running.

gluster volume create homevol 192.168.1.123:/mnt/disk001

The is the IP of the machine and the mount point of the disk. We then need to start Gluster

gluster volume start homevol

We can find the status with the command

gluster volume info

We need to now mount this file system. We can do it by hand, or via fstab. Firstly, by hand

mount.glusterfs 192.168.1.123:/homevol /mnt/homevol

Note that the /homevol next to the IP is the name of the array, and not an actual filesystem location.

We can also mount it by adding it to the /etc/fstab

192.168.1.42:/homevol /mnt/homevol	glusterfs	defaults,_netdev	0 2 

I am not 100% sure of this, but it works. This can be mounted with the following command

mount -a

This creates an array with only a single disk.

You will probably also want to ensure that rcp.statd is started, and a few other things

The following is black magic.

Adding another disk

This next part works, but is horrible! Try it, but do not blame me if it does not work!

Insert the drive into the machine. You can find the name by typing the following command

dmesg

Once you know the drive name, type the following. NOTE: This assumes that the existing drive is /dev/sda and the new one is /dev/sdb. Do this wrong, and you will need to read up on how to initialize your drive array from scratch!

dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb bs=1M count=11000

This basically copies the first 11 GB from the first to the second HDD. This includes the partition table, and the RAID file system for apps and operating system.

Then format the big partition

mkfs.ext4 /dev/sdb4

Once this is complete, add an entry to /etc/fstab

/dev/sdb4	/mnt/disk002	ext4	defaults	0 0

Then remove the drive, wait a few seconds, and reinsert it. Then issue the following command:

mount -a

Then we need to fix the RAID. CHECK THESE COMMANDS. In my case, I have set the md127 array up with two drives in the array, and two spares, with the two active drives being mirrored.

mdadm --add /dev/md127 /dev/sdb3
mdadm --grow /dev/md127 --raid-devices=2

I am not sure if the ReadyNas wants you to do a similar thing for /dev/md0

You can then add the new disk to Gluster

gluster volume add-brick homevol 192.168.1.123:/mnt/disk002

You can see that this has taken with the following commands

gluster volume info
df -h

/etc/fstab

My ultimate /etc/fstab on my RN314 is

/dev/md127	/data		ext4	defaults	0 0
/data/.apps /apps ext4 bind 0 0
/data/home /home ext4 bind 0 0
/dev/sda4 /mnt/disk006 ext4 defaults 0 0
/dev/sdb4 /mnt/disk010 ext4 defaults 0 0
/dev/sdc4 /mnt/disk017 ext4 defaults 0 0
/dev/sdd4 /mnt/disk018 ext4 defaults 0 0
192.168.1.42:/homevol /mnt/homevol glusterfs defaults,_netdev 0 2

Exports...

There are four options for getting the file system off the RN. They are

GlusterFS
    NFS
    SMB
    AFP

GlusterFS works really well, and is independent of the RN software. Many operating systems have clients which work well.

NFS works when you have decent computing power available, but I found the performance on the RN314 to be occasionally problematic on my Apple Mac. This is also independent of the RN portal, so make sure you DO NOT turn NFS on in the portal. You also need to make sure that rpc.statd is running, and possibly portmap

The GlusterFS options I am using are below. You will need to read up on Gluster to see how to add them.

nfs.ports-insecure: on
nfs.rpc-auth-allow: 192.168.1.92,192.168.1.*
cluster.min-free-disk: 1

Note that this exports subdirectories of the root automatically, so a command such as the following could work on the Mac. I am not sure that this is the best command line, but it seems to mostly work.

mkdir /Volumes/Media; sudo mount -t nfs -vv -o intr,tcp,nolock,vers=3 192.168.1.123:homevol/media/ /Volumes/Media/

You can also export the directory using SMB. This needs to be done by hand. EXPAND

What I am doing on the Mac is actually to use AFP, and export the share that way. This seems to be the most reliable for me. I am still working out file permissions and the like.

Mounting my master Gluster on my slave Gluster

To clone the HDD from the RN314 to the RN104, I am mounting both Gluster File Systems on the backup RN, and then using RSYNC.

I have mounted the master as Read Only on the Backup. The following two entries are from the /etc/fstab

192.168.1.124:/homevol /mnt/homevol	glusterfs	defaults	0 2
192.168.1.123:/homevol /mnt/newhomevol glusterfs ro 0 2

Then the command I am using to back up is

rsync -aPvhpu --modify-window 1 /mnt/newhomevol /mnt/homevol

Later, when I am sure everything is working, I will add a 'delete' option, but I might have this as being initiated by me.

Copying off like this, I am generally getting about 7.5 MBytes/sec. Copying on to the 314, I am normally getting about 30-35 MBytes/sec, even if I am copying off the RN314
Message 1 of 2
vk2tds
Aspirant

Re: GlusterFS on the ReadyNAS HOWTO

For various reasons I needed to upgrade my ReadyNAS machine. One of the reasons was upgrading the operating system to the latest version. To do this, I removed all my drives, put a blank one in, and installed the OS onto the new disk. Then I grabbed a copy of the /data directory, and cloned /dev/sda1 using the dd command, and used it to overwrite the root partition on one of my Gluster HDD's when inserted it (dd if=/dev/hda1 of=/dev/hdb1). Then removed the new HDD and booted on just the old drive with the new OS.

This led me to a couple of changes that needed to be made:

Edit the /etc/init.d/glusterfs-server file so that the last line of do_start() is
/etc/init.d/rpcbind start

Also, edit /etc/init.d/mountall.sh so that glusterfs is added to the list of file types with gfs2, ceph and others

I actually had these on my system before, but unfortunately I neglected to document them.

Darryl
Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements