× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Having trouble accessing boot menu on ReadyNas Duo V2

rogfrich
Aspirant

Having trouble accessing boot menu on ReadyNas Duo V2

Hi all,

I have just been gifted a ReadyNAS RND2000 v2 by a friend who has upgraded. He kept his disks; I have installed a new WD disk from the Compatibility List with the idea of installing a second disk once I have the NAS up and running.

I've got as far as installing the disk and booting the NAS, and finding it on RAIDar. Unfortunately, I can't access the admin console because the system password my friend has supplied isn't working (most likely it's been written down wrongly at some stage) and he's not around to check.

I'd therefore like to do a factory reset. I am following the instructions: pressing a "bent paperclip" (actually the iPhone SIM card access thingy) into the reset button and holding it down while I power on the NAS. What I believe is supposed to happen is that the power, disk 1, disk 2, backup and USB LEDs light up, and then I can cycle through them with the backup button.

What actually happens is that the power LED flashes for some time, and the disk 2 light comes on (there isn't a disk in bay 2, as noted above). I'm holding the reset button down for thirty seconds or more (at least I think I am - it's difficult to tell once it's pressed if it still pressed or not, and I'm finding it quite awkward to press the reset button and watch the LEDs at the same time). Part of the problem is that there's no indication in the manual as to how long it is supposed to take for all the LEDs to come on. 

What am I doing wrong? 🙂

Edited to add: I should mention that RAIDar reports the NAS as healthy.

Model: ReadyNAS RND2000v2|ReadyNAS Duo v2 Chassis only
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: Having trouble accessing boot menu on ReadyNas Duo V2

Since you started over with a new drive, you need to enter the default password, not the one your friend used.  His is stored on the drives he removed.

If you really have a DuoV2 (due to a poor decision on Netgear's part regarding labeling, it can be confusing), then it will say "V2" on the front and the part number will end in -200xxx (where xxx is NAS or some other country code).  In that case, the default password is password.

If you actually have a V1 (with a label on the bottom that says V2), which will have a part number ending in -100xxx, the default password is netgear1.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
Sandshark
Sensei

Since you started over with a new drive, you need to enter the default password, not the one your friend used.  His is stored on the drives he removed.

If you really have a DuoV2 (due to a poor decision on Netgear's part regarding labeling, it can be confusing), then it will say "V2" on the front and the part number will end in -200xxx (where xxx is NAS or some other country code).  In that case, the default password is password.

If you actually have a V1 (with a label on the bottom that says V2), which will have a part number ending in -100xxx, the default password is netgear1.

Message 2 of 4
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Just to add here is an article on how to determine the units if they are V1 or V2.

OS Reinstall V1 and OS Reinstall V2 guides 

Hope this helps!

Regards

Message 3 of 4
rogfrich
Aspirant

Thank you! That worked. 🙂

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies