× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Help needed with Readynas212

ummjay
Aspirant

Help needed with Readynas212

Hi! I received an alert my volume was degraded (Disk #2). It then told me:

Detected increasing reallocated sector count: [606] on disk 2 (Internal) [WDC WD60EFRX-68L0BN1 WD-WX21D5533R6R] 32 times in the past 30 days.

followed by:

Disk: Detected increasing ATA error count: [35473] on disk 2 (Internal) [WDC WD60EFRX-68L0BN1, WD-WX21D5533R6R] 12 times in the past 30 days

I took that drive out (as I have just ordered another one and was looking to replace). I now only have 1 drive in (in Disk 1), and it's red (even though disk state says online). I now get an error:

remove inactive volumes to use the disk (Disk #1).

I thought my data would have been synced on there. Any suggestions on how to resolve this? When I goto the performance tab, it is green. I can also see my shares from my PC (i.e the NAS drive, and the associated shared folders), just cannot access, when I click on a directory (like documents), it just fails.

Message 1 of 27

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

@ummjay wrote:

thanks @StephenB and @MikeD1234 . So now I've backed up the data from my 6TB to the new 10TB drive. Can someone please walk me through the next steps? 

Just to be clear, I am assuming that you connected the 10 TB drive to a PC (windows or mac), and backed up the data on the NAS over the network.  If you didn't do that, let us know the details, as the steps below might not be correct.

(a) hot-insert the blank 10 TB drive into the NAS, and wait for it to sync.

If the sync is successful, then

(b) remove the 6 TB drive.  Hot-insert the other 10 TB drive and format it in the NAS.  It will resync and expand the volume to 10 TB.

if the sync fails, then

(c) remove the 6 TB drive and do a factory default with the blank 10 TB drive in place

(d) reconfigure the NAS (recreating shares etc)

(e) copy the files from your current 10 TB drive

(f) hot-insert the current 10 TB drive into the NAS, select it, and format it.  It will then sync with the first drive.

Note if you like, you can skip (a) and (b), and instead just do steps (c)-(f).  More work, but you would get a completely clean volume and OS partition.

@ummjay wrote:

Once I get my 2nd 10TB drive, do I just take out the 6TB, and insert both 10TB (one has my data, and the other would be the new blank one)? 

No, that won't work.  So don't try that.

View solution in original post

Message 21 of 27

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Are you using X-RAID?

Have you downloaded the log zip file?

Also, do you have a backup of the data?

Message 2 of 27
MikeD1234
NETGEAR Expert

Hi @ummjay,

From the sounds of it, you weren't running x-raid (where it chooses the best RAID for you), but instead, ran it in RAID0, or, unless disk #1, already was offline, pulling disk #2, then caused the volume to become inaccessible.

If you want, send me a private message, with a link to your log files, I am happy to have a look at it, and see what is wrong, and what can be done about it.

Mike

Message 3 of 27
Sandshark
Sensei

@MikeD1234  If he was using RAID0, the loss of a drive would not have caused the volume to be degraded, it would have been dead.  While he said that it said the degraded volume was due to drive 2, maybe it really was drive 1 that caused the NAS to become degraded and the warnings about drive 2 are on top of that.  The logs will be of help there.

@ummjay  Did you inadvertently pull drive 1 and then return it, with power on, during the process of removing drive 2?  With power off, please try pulling Drive 1 and putting Drive 2 back in (in bay 2) and then power up and see what you get.  If your volume is then accessible, you need to back up your files ASAP.  DO NOT add a drive 1, as that will kick of a sync, which is very intensive on both drives, and may cause drive 2 to completely fail.

Message 4 of 27
MikeD1234
NETGEAR Expert

@Sandshark been a while since I worked on RN units.

But, yes, that's what I meant, if he was already experiencing issues with the disk that was still "active", and he ejected it or the wrong one.. We don't really know unless we see the logs, and check how the volume was created, and, what the BTRFS logs say...

Probably not raid0 though, most likely raid1, with two broken disks..

Maybe he can get it up in RO, if one disk is still fine, or, at least readable.

If you can share your logs @ummjay.

Mike

Message 5 of 27
Sandshark
Sensei

@MikeD1234 , an RN212 is a 2-bay unit.  So not RAID5.  That's why I told him to try just the other drive, he undoubtedly had RAID1.

Message 6 of 27
MikeD1234
NETGEAR Expert

@Sandshark yes, I believe that's the issue.

Adjusted my comment, I meant to type RAID1 not 5 😆.

But I think, from the sounds of it, that both disks had issues, but wasn't noticed up to now. And, maybe a lot of on-hours.

Message 7 of 27
StephenB
Guru

@ummjay wrote:

I took that drive out (as I have just ordered another one and was looking to replace). I now only have 1 drive in (in Disk 1), and it's red (even though disk state says online). I now get an error:

@ummjay - It would be helpful to see the logs. If you want us to do that, then please download the full log zip file.  You'll need to put it into cloud storage (dropbox, google drive, etc), and then send someone a private message (PM) with a download link.  I'd be happy to take a look. You send a PM using the envelope link in the upper right of the forum page.

Another thing that you can try is to

• power down the NAS
  • remove the current drive
  • restore the first drive you removed back into its original slot
  • power up the NAS

If you can then access your files, make a backup of the data right away. 

Once the data is safe, we can try to sort out what went wrong.

Message 8 of 27
ummjay
Aspirant

Thanks for your response. Yes i'm on XRAID, No I don't have a backup of the data. I was hoping my 2 hard drives would be a mirror of each other and as a result, backing up the data.

Message 9 of 27
ummjay
Aspirant

I took the right disc out, and my data was not accessible. I then put my right disc back in, and that was an issue... I guess I misread the above, as it started to sync. Once I noticed that, I quickly shut down the unit. I then took out the left disc, and put the right back in, and turned back on.

using that drive, on my network I don't see the name of my drive, but instead see: "NAS-B7-B7-5E", with no shares/folders. I try and log in to the admin page via a browser, and my standard login/password doesnt work.

This is a not a good sign, seems like this drive might have no data on it?

update, i put my left disc in, and took the right disc out, and I can access my data.. 

So i'm going to shut down my NAS now..I ordered a new drive, which should be here in a few days. So the 1 have on the left disc, is a 6TB, and the new one I ordered is a 10tb, shouldnt be an issue they aren't the same capacity in size right? Also, what should I do once I get the new drive, put it on the right, and let it sync from left to right?

Message 10 of 27
MikeD1234
NETGEAR Expert

Hi @ummjay,

For @StephenB / @Sandshark and myself to give you a good answer, it would be good to see the full logs, so we can actually see what was happening before getting to this point.

It might be, that both disks are faulty, and, even though it only said disk2, disk1 also had issues, this seems the most logical of all situations from what we read.

Further, if you can access your data using the other disk, do you have space to store your data somewhere?

It might be better, to download your data ASAP, once it's downloaded, then, insert the two disks, factory default the NAS, and once the NAS is rebuild after FD, move the data back on the NAS.

Because a sync is very intensive on both disks, it might be that you still run into an issue, whereas, once you have the data backed up, then, you can safely insert the new disk.

Additionally, it's better to have disks of equal size, as you'll loose some space, if the other disk isn't 10TB. As you mentioned the other disk isn't.

So, what you can do, is insert the disk that's still "working", then, boot the volume read-only:

https://kb.netgear.com/22892/How-do-I-access-the-boot-menu-on-my-ReadyNAS-102-202-212-or-312

Once it's in read-only, it won't do any writes to said volume, and allow you to take the data off of the NAS.

Maybe @StephenB / @Sandshark would like to weigh in here, but I think this would be the safest way forward.

Mike

Message 11 of 27
StephenB
Guru

@ummjay wrote:

I was hoping my 2 hard drives would be a mirror of each other and as a result, backing up the data.

Although RAID redundancy is helpful, it is not enough to keep your data safe.

@ummjay wrote:

I then put my right disc back in, and that was an issue... I guess I misread the above, as it started to sync. Once I noticed that, I quickly shut down the unit. I then took out the left disc, and put the right back in, and turned back on.

It was very important to power down the NAS, and remove the left disk first.  That would have prevented the resync.

You could try again with only the left disk inserted.  Though I am guessing that also won't work.

If it does fail, then you will need to try RAID recovery software in a Windows PC.  You'll need to connect at least one of the disks either with SATA or with USB adapter/docks (there are several that have 2 slots).  You'll need RAID recovery software that supports BTRFS.  ReclaiMe is one package that folks here have used with success.  You'll need the Ultimate version (about $200).  Note you can download it first, and see if it can recovery anything prior to purchase.

Message 12 of 27
Sandshark
Sensei

@ummjay wrote:

I took the right disc out, and my data was not accessible. I then put my right disc back in, and that was an issue... I guess I misread the above, as it started to sync. Once I noticed that, I quickly shut down the unit.

That is very unfortunate, as you likely made things worse by shutting it down in mid-sync.  Of course, if a drive had failed during the sync, the result would have been the same (which is why I expressly tried to have you avoid the sync ever starting).

@ummjay wrote:

on my network I don't see the name of my drive, but instead see: "NAS-B7-B7-5E", with no shares/folders. I try and log in to the admin page via a browser, and my standard login/password doesnt work.

This is a not a good sign, seems like this drive might have no data on it?

The the NAS name is wrong (it's the default, derived from the MAC address) likely means you also damaged the OS partition when you shut it down.  It, too, is a RAID, and would need to re-sync.  It probably does not mean there is no data, there is just no volume that can be properly mounted so you can see the data.

Message 13 of 27
ummjay
Aspirant

thanks everyone. So I'm expecting my new 10tb drive to arrive this Thursday. What I am thinking of doing is to backup all my data from my 6TB drive that I can currently get the data from, to the new 10TB drive. Assuming all I need to do is, leave the right disc in place (which has the data), and insert the 10TB drive on the left? If so, do I want to boot up my NAS in read only mode, or let it sync automatically? How do I know that it will think the right disc is the primary, and needs to copy over to the left disk? once I get that sorted and backed up to the new 10tb drive. Assume the next steps are to take out the new (now with all my data) 10TB drive, and look to reformat the 2 bad 6TB drives, to see if any can be salvaged? 

Understood on making sure both drives are the same size. I'd have to order another 10TB drive, which should take some time to get after I receive my initial one this Thurs.

I will try and get the logs over. I had issues downloading it, and was afraid to leave the ReadyNAS on too long, as I only have 1 drive, and somewhat a miracle I have the data, so didn't want to risk loosing it by keeping the ReadyNAS on longer.

Is there another way to download the logs, other than clicking the download logs from the admin panel?

Thanks!

Message 14 of 27
StephenB
Guru

@ummjay wrote:

I will try and get the logs over. I had issues downloading it, and was afraid to leave the ReadyNAS on too long, as I only have 1 drive, and somewhat a miracle I have the data, so didn't want to risk loosing it by keeping the ReadyNAS on longer.

If you have data access, then the best thing to do now is to copy as much of the data as you can to your PC.  If you can't copy it all, then try to copy the data that is not replaceable (personal files, photos, as opposed to music or movies).

@ummjay wrote:

I will try and get the logs over. I had issues downloading it, and was afraid to leave the ReadyNAS on too long, 

Is there another way to download the logs, other than clicking the download logs from the admin panel?

What issues?

You can download logs via RAIDar, but if you can't get them from the admin panel, then you likely can't get them via RAIDar either.

@ummjay wrote:

thanks everyone. So I'm expecting my new 10tb drive to arrive this Thursday. What I am thinking of doing is to backup all my data from my 6TB drive that I can currently get the data from, to the new 10TB drive.  2 bad 6TB drives, to see if any can be salvaged? 

If you don't have the ability to store all the data on your PC, then the best path is to

1. Connect the 10 TB drive to the PC (getting a USB data dock or enclosure if you need one). 
  2. Format it as NTFS, and copy all the files over your network. 

If the PC has an ethernet port, then connect it to your router with ethernet, as that will be quicker.  Then the data will be safe.

Then you can hot-insert the second 10 TB drive in the NAS when it arrives.  It will automatically sync with the existing 6 TB drive.  If the 6 TB drive fails during the sync, you can remove it (just leaving the new 10 TB drive), and do a factory default (reconfiguring the NAS), and copy the data back to the NAS over the network. 

Either way, once the data is on the NAS you can install the first 10 TB disk into the NAS.  You'll need to select it from the web ui, and format it.  It will then automatically sync to the first disk.

If you can't connect the drive to your PC, then a second option (not nearly as safe) is to simply hot-insert the 10 TB drive into the empty bay of the NAS with the NAS running.  It will sync to your current disk, and give you 6 TB of storage. Don't power down the NAS, reboot it, or remove any disks until the resync is complete.  If the resync fails for any reason, then get back to us.

If you later upgrade the second disk to 10 TB, the volume will expand to 10 TB.  The risk with this option is that if the single disk with your data fails during the resync, then you will lose all your data.

@ummjay wrote:

How do I know that it will think the right disc is the primary, and needs to copy over to the left disk? 

The NAS will detect that the 10 TB disk is unformatted, so it won't sync the 6 TB disk to the blank 10 TB one.

Message 15 of 27
Sandshark
Sensei

Your plan of just adding a new 10TB is very risky given that you already suspect both old drives of having issues.  A sync is very drive intensive, and if your old drive fails during it, you will lose all your data.  You really need to make a true backup of your data before you do that, as @StephenB is recommending.  RAID is not a "true backup".  While RAID does provide redundancy, it's not immune to problems that can cause you to lose your data.  A true backup is on a separate device or in the cloud.

It would be best if you chose a backup method that you can keep up to date for any future issues.  @StephenB's suggestion of using the new 10TB's as a temporary solution is just that, temporary.

Message 16 of 27
ummjay
Aspirant

Hi @MikeD1234 and @StephenB , I've sent you a private message with my log files.

I also wanted to mention, I was able to successfully transfer my files from my 6TB drive to the new 10TB drive. I've also ordered another 10TB, so the goal would be to have the 2 10TB drives in the RAID, and if any of the 6TB are salvageable, I'll use that as my backup.

I guess lets see what you both find in the logs on if I can keep any of the 6 TB drives, and use one as a backup?

Message 17 of 27
MikeD1234
NETGEAR Expert

Hey @ummjay,

Sent you a reply in DM 😁.

Mike

Message 18 of 27
StephenB
Guru

@MikeD1234 wrote:

Hey @ummjay,

Sent you a reply in DM 😁.

Mike

as did I 😀

Message 19 of 27
ummjay
Aspirant

thanks @StephenB and @MikeD1234 . So now I've backed up the data from my 6TB to the new 10TB drive. Can someone please walk me through the next steps? Once I get my 2nd 10TB drive, do I just take out the 6TB, and insert both 10TB (one has my data, and the other would be the new blank one)? I will keep the 6TB as an offline backup. If the above is correct, any specific slot the one with the data needs to go in?

Message 20 of 27
StephenB
Guru

@ummjay wrote:

thanks @StephenB and @MikeD1234 . So now I've backed up the data from my 6TB to the new 10TB drive. Can someone please walk me through the next steps? 

Just to be clear, I am assuming that you connected the 10 TB drive to a PC (windows or mac), and backed up the data on the NAS over the network.  If you didn't do that, let us know the details, as the steps below might not be correct.

(a) hot-insert the blank 10 TB drive into the NAS, and wait for it to sync.

(b) remove the 6 TB drive.  Hot-insert the other 10 TB drive and format it in the NAS.  It will resync and expand the volume to 10 TB.

if the sync fails, then

(c) remove the 6 TB drive and do a factory default with the blank 10 TB drive in place

(d) reconfigure the NAS (recreating shares etc)

(e) copy the files from your current 10 TB drive

(f) hot-insert the current 10 TB drive into the NAS, select it, and format it.  It will then sync with the first drive.

Note if you like, you can skip (a) and (b), and instead just do steps (c)-(f).  More work, but you would get a completely clean volume and OS partition.

@ummjay wrote:

Once I get my 2nd 10TB drive, do I just take out the 6TB, and insert both 10TB (one has my data, and the other would be the new blank one)? 

No, that won't work.  So don't try that.

Message 21 of 27
ummjay
Aspirant

"Just to be clear, I am assuming that you connected the 10 TB drive to a PC (windows or mac), and backed up the data on the NAS over the network.  If you didn't do that, let us know the details, as the steps below might not be correct."

--Correct, that's what I've done.

Now I have my 6TB drive on the left, and inserted the blank (new) 10TB on the right. A sync is now in progress. I'll keep you posted!

Message 22 of 27
ummjay
Aspirant

**This is now complete. I have 2 new healthy 10TB drives fully synced, and my previous 6TB drive as a back up.

Thanks so much both of you! lifesavers!

Message 23 of 27
Sandshark
Sensei

That is, of course, exactly as it is supposed to work.  But things can go wrong during a sync, especially if you question one of the drives, so the backup is insurance.  But now that you put the 10TB backup into the NAS, it's no longer a backup.  The old 6TB is, but won't be up to date for long.  So, you may want to consider a more permanent backup solution.

Message 24 of 27
ummjay
Aspirant

Hi! Meaning, the 6TB is not enough as a backup because it was prev used in the NAS? What do you suggest? Getting a new 10Tb as a backup in addition to the 6TB I have?
Message 25 of 27
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 26 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements