× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Help setting up internet access

mpj881
Aspirant

Hi, can someone please help me set up my routers so that i can access my nas setup and transmission over the internet.

I have two routers in my house. First is the BT homehub this is on the network as 192.168.1.254 I then have my own router a netgear WNDR3700 connect to this router. I have my NAS connected to the netgear router and my PC uses the wireless signal from the netgear router. The routers address is 10.0.0.1 and the NAS is 10.0.0.50. This is what is causing my confusion because they are on different sub networks!

Now i know i need to forward ports 80, 443 and 8181(port for transmission) to the NAS however im not sure how to do this. Do i need to first forward them from the BT homehub to the netgear router and then from the netgear router on to the NAS? Or can i do it straight from the BT homehub?

Thanks in advance.
Message 1 of 11
WhoCares_
Mentor

Re: Help setting up internet access

Is there any special reason why you have the Netgear router operate on a different network than what the BT already provides? Having all devices on the same network would make things a lot easier to configure I'd say.

-Stefan
Message 2 of 11
dbott67
Guide

mpj88 wrote:
Now i know i need to forward ports 80, 443 and 8181(port for transmission) to the NAS however im not sure how to do this. Do i need to first forward them from the BT homehub to the netgear router and then from the netgear router on to the NAS? Or can i do it straight from the BT homehub?

I agree with Stefan. It does make things easier without dual-nat, however, if you are using the 2nd router for security reasons (i.e. shared network with others), then you can do it. Basically, you need to forward all desired ports on the BT homehub to the WAN IP of the Netgear WNDR3700. Then, create a similar set of port forward rules on the WNDR3700 to forward to the internal IP of the NAS.
Message 3 of 11
StephenB
Guru

I agree with Stefan. It does make things easier without dual-nat, however, if you are using the 2nd router for security reasons (i.e. shared network with others), then you can do it. Basically, you need to forward all desired ports on the BT homehub to the WAN IP of the Netgear WNDR3700. Then, create a similar set of port forward rules on the WNDR3700 to forward to the internal IP of the NAS.[/quote]Or put the WNDR3700 in the DMZ of the BT homehub. Then you only need to put new rules on one device.
Message 4 of 11
mpj881
Aspirant

I just plugged then WAN port into the BT homehub and it set it self up like that automatically! I only use the netgear router as it has jumbo framses and N speed wifi so i can watch HD over wireless!

Will try the two forward method. How do i find out the WAN address of the netgear? Is that the IP address of it according to the BT homehub?

Thanks
Message 5 of 11
WhoCares_
Mentor

Since there are no security implications, you could also try to plug a LAN port of the Netgear router into the BT homehub. The Netgear device should then pick up an address from the BT's local network automatically which would then put all your devices in one local network. Would probably require a reboot of the ReadyNAS And other devices attached to the Netgear router so they'd pick up their new IP Addresses as well.

-Stefan
Message 6 of 11
mpj881
Aspirant

Ah ok, Didnt know if this would work. Would i still be able to have two wireless points? or would i only be able to use one? WIll there be issues with two firewalls aswell?

Thanks
Message 7 of 11
WhoCares_
Mentor

Actually you should be able to set the WNDR3700 to "Access Point" mode. In this mode the WAN port will act as a standard LAN port but all the wireless features will still be usable. So it will essentially turn the router into a switch with wireless capabilities. All of that shouldn't interfere with any wireless service the BT may be providing (don't know that hardware since it's not available over here). Since the firewall in the Netgear router will be disabled in this mode, there shouldn't be any issues with two firewalls. The only thing to remeber is that in this setup the BT will do all the DHCP stuff, e.g. handing put IP addresses to the devices on your network.

-Stefan
Message 8 of 11
mpj881
Aspirant

Ah that sounds good! Thank you!

Should that setting just be in the main web interface?

Any down side to that? Would the netgear router do the stuff that the BT router has to do better?
Message 9 of 11
WhoCares_
Mentor

I've been using that kind of setup for years now and have yet to find any downside 😉 Yes, the setting should be in the main web interface, in the lower half of the left navigation if I remeber correctly. As for whether the WNDR would handle stuff better than the BT I can't say much about, since I don't know the BT.

-Stefan
Message 10 of 11
CB50
Aspirant

I use this system/setup but also with a netgear switch in the middle as i have a gig network in the house.

I have a question - i cannot get my wndr to receive the time, connect directly to internet to do updates etc and therefore cannot use the wireless on off by time function....

Any ideas.

I am not using the yellow port.

My setup is BT Home hub - goes into my switch, switch goes to my WNDR 3700 in another room via port 1 then i connect my pc to port 2?

Thank if anyone can help
Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements