× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Home Folders not created with new user

Bill_CTS
Aspirant

Home Folders not created with new user

Greetings-

My ReadyNAS 312 is using the latest firmware.

When I create a new user, that user does not get a new home folder automatically.

Also, I the "create new folder" icon is grayed-out, so I cannot manually create new folders.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks ,Bill

Message 1 of 4
StephenB
Guru

Re: Home Folders not created with new user

@Bill_CTS wrote:

When I create a new user, that user does not get a new home folder automatically.

It should be created when that user first accesses the NAS with his credentials (using SMB / file explorer).

Message 2 of 4
Bill_CTS
Aspirant

Many thanks for your prompt reply.

Perhaps there is more going here, since your your reasonable explaination is not what I am experiencing.

I created a new user on a PC that I moved from one office and gave to a new person. I gave them a user name and password on this reprovisioned PC, and gave them a coresponding user name and password on the server. They gained access to the server, but did not get a home folder.

I changed the password on this PC, restarted it with the new password, and still gained access to the server without having to supply any credentials.

Additionally, a long time user who is the only user of her PC has never gotten a home folder, either.

I am now uncertain whether this is a homefolder issue or a general credential issue. Please advise further.

Thanks ,Bill

Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

If you have free chat support, it might be best if you use that (and post the resolution here).

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements