× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How long is an NAS good for?

Evil_Overlord
Aspirant

How long is an NAS good for?

By that, I mean, how long might a reasonable person expect between upgrades?

I have a ReadyNAS NV+, now 5 years old. Works fine, except that it's pretty slow on transfers. Normally that's not a problem, since my needs (home use, backups, music streaming) are minor. The device was (for me) expensive - about $1,000. Still, at some point, I'll want to upgrade.

The obvious answer is "Dude, if it's working, leave it alone." Well and good, but what's a reasonable replacement schedule, just FMI? For example, I buy good laptops, and expect them to last 5 years or so. What's a rule of thumb for an NAS (the device, not the drives)?
Message 1 of 3
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: How long is an NAS good for?

5 years is a good run. At some point I'd suggest shifting the NV+ to backup duties (to extend its useful life) and using a new primary NAS.

If it still works and you keep up to date backups there is no need to rush into getting a new NAS though
Message 2 of 3
Evil_Olverlord
Aspirant

Re: How long is an NAS good for?

Thanks. I'll keep this for at least a couple more years, and probably longer, but it's good to know I'm on plus time, so to speak.
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements