× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How long to resync NV+ with four 2TB disks and 256MB Raid 5?

thevinn
Aspirant

How long to resync NV+ with four 2TB disks and 256MB Raid 5?

Going on over 24 hours now...is this normal?

First three disk lights are solid, fourth light is flashing, frontview claims that drive 4 is resyncing.
Message 1 of 23
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: How long to resync NV+ with four 2TB disks and 256MB Raid 5?

Do you have much data on the NAS yet? Did you check before inserting the disks whether they were bad? See faq.php#How_can_I_verify_that_my_disk_is_bad%3F
Message 2 of 23
thevinn
Aspirant

mdgm wrote:
Do you have much data on the NAS yet? Did you check before inserting the disks whether they were bad? See faq.php#How_can_I_verify_that_my_disk_is_bad%3F

Umm...there was no data these were brand new disks.
Message 3 of 23
thevinn
Aspirant

Still going...so how long does this usually take? Anyone?
Message 4 of 23
thevinn
Aspirant

From looking at the documentation, it appears that I am in "RAID synchronization" mode. Drive lights 1, 2, and 3 are solid while 4 is blinking fast. The activity light blinks once per second and I can hear the drive heads moving, like a steady beat. The power light is solid.

This corresponds exactly to the LEDs described in the installation guide for the NV+ as RAID sync. It is definitely not the "bad disk detected" sequence.

So, is it possible that an 8TB sync can take 30+ hours?
Message 5 of 23
thevinn
Aspirant

Okay so I finally figured out how long it takes...

60 hours
Message 6 of 23
darthmaul26
Aspirant

What 2TB drives were you successful with (Hitachi? Model #?) and what version of Firmware did you use 4.1.6?
Many of us have been unsuccessful with any 2TB with NV+ so far....

Any special sequence of how you did it? 1 drive at a time, all 4 installed and just turn it on and leave it alone for 60 hours?

Thanks in advance.
Message 7 of 23
thevinn
Aspirant

I used the Seagate ST32000542AS Barracuda LP

The hardware is the RND 4000v3, with the latest firmware 4.1.6, and the stock 256MB memory module.

I put the drives in, turned it on, deleted the existing volume, restarted, created a new volume at RAID 5, and then waited.

Well actually I aborted the sync process on the first go because I thought it was broken. In reality it was just taking a long time. I let it run again and after about 60 hours it finished. The device seems to be working fine now.
Message 8 of 23
ndroberts1
Aspirant

Re: How long to resync NV+ with four 2TB disks and 256MB Rai

Well now. I have found these forums of great use and felt that I had to contribute to return the favour.
A week ago I spent my savings on a NV+ and 4 Seagate 2 TB drives ( Seagate ST2000DL003-9VT166 ) with C32 firmware.

I ran a factory default using ReadyNAS firmware 4.1.8 - 1st on 256MB ram raid 5 ... 8% after 24 hrs I gave up.
Installed 1GB ram and started again. ... It ran for 75hrs before completing.

During the period of raid sync the NAS was barely usable - CPU was maxed out.
When it completed 4 days later I ran some performance tests.
Large files - around 22MB/s - many small files around 10MB/s

I decided it was not any different to my DUO. And as raid sync time took so long ...... I lost intrest quickly.
I called our friendly vendor friends who were very nice - stated what I saw was normal and due to their 30 day sat. guarantee, they were happy for me to return the unit.
I can't afford not to have access for a week while the unit runs a raid sync. So --- I gave it in -- paid a few bob more ($220) as an upgrade for a Ultra 4.

What a joy - same 2TB disks transferred. Sync completed in 5 hrs. Unit was usable during sync.
Small file copies run at 50MB/s ... Large files 80MB/s to 100MB sec.

Lessons - if you just want some NAS storage ... duo or NV+.
If you want performance - Ultra or any of the X86 range.
Unfortunately the ReadyNAS range is vastly more expensive than other NAS units with X86 level performance.
I picked it as I already have some of there HW.
Message 9 of 23
scootle
Aspirant

Yeah, I run X-RAID on an old NV (no +) that I've had forever... I just swapped out a 1.5TB disk (with a new one) due to SMART+ errors and the resync operation has been going on since Monday... 😉

Based on my prior experiences, it takes a while...
Message 10 of 23
dchang0
Aspirant

@ndroberts1:

When you did the factory default with the four 2TB drives, what were the lights and RAIDar status? Right now, I'm doing a factory default, and it has the following:

RAIDar says "Installing..."
Blue power LED is slowly flashing
Network activity light green most of the time, with occasional flashes--probably to indicate RAIDar scans
No drive lights on at all, although RAIDar does recognize that all four drives are installed with four green LEDs

It's this last one that bugs me--is this thing really Installing or not? I can't tell if the drives are being synced up with each other, and if they are, what data is there to sync?

Anyway, if you can offer me some reassurance by confirming the lights that you saw during your factory default, please do.

Thanks to everyone for posting this thread indicating how long it can take. I was about to restart the ReadyNAS but will let it run for a few days straight.
Message 11 of 23
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

It shouldn't say installing for too long. The Resync is what takes lots of times. I think installing would be relatively quick, certainly under about 15 minutes or so, maybe a lot less (can't remember).

I still suspect a bad disk (disks can and do fail at any time).

Also check the memory: http://www.readynas.com/kb/faq/hardware/is_there_a_way_i_can_verify_if_my_memory_is_good
Message 12 of 23
dchang0
Aspirant

Yes, the drives could be bad. I ran the memory test a few days ago, and it passed.

I'll try installing one drive at a time... Thanks for the tip!
Message 13 of 23
PapaBear1
Guide

The last time I did a factory default on my trusty old (4 1/2 year old Infrant) NV+, albeit with 3x1TB Seagate drives, it took less than 8 hours from the time it started the install until it finished. Anything over 24 hours would in my mind be an indication of a problem somewhere.
Message 14 of 23
dchang0
Aspirant

I just used my trusty NV+ to reinitialize one of the 1100's 2TB drives in under five minutes. Not sure why the 1100 takes so much longer to do the same thing...
Message 15 of 23
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hanging on a bad disk is probably the answer.

Setting up with a single disk (no RAID obviously, though with X-RAID adding an additional disk will result in RAID being setup) is fast.
Message 16 of 23
dchang0
Aspirant

Yeah, you nailed it. I just confirmed that drive 4 was bad (would only spin up about 20% of the time). It was hanging during the firmware write to the drive(s). The other three drives remained blank, so it absolutely had to have been stuck while writing to drive 4.

I tried updating to 4.1.8 and it tanked my ReadyNAS 1100 again (this time on a different set of 750GB drives). This firmware level sucks. 4.1.6 seems to be the last version I can trust (had trouble with 4.1.7 also).
Message 17 of 23
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Try updating with just one disk (not from your array) installed.
Message 18 of 23
dchang0
Aspirant

I'm not sure I want to take the risk, LOL--I do happen to have a brand new 1TB drive currently installed as I go through and check all the disks one at a time on a Windows machine. Have found one bad 750GB drive out of the set of four and two bad 2TB drives out of the set of four. The 1TB drive is probably what I'll keep in the ReadyNAS, since I no longer trust the possibly good drives out of the two sets.
Message 19 of 23
PapaBear1
Guide

dchang0 - one never knows. I had a drive fail within the first 30 days of setting up my NV+ 4.5 years ago. I replaced it with an identical drive, and both that drive and the other originally installed drive ran for the next 3+ years until replace by larger drive. They ran for over 25,000 hours without any problems.
Message 20 of 23
dchang0
Aspirant

Yeah, it's funny how finicky the ReadyNAS is. I've noticed that drives that it refuses to use are often perfectly fine for years and years in regular Mac or PC desktops. So it is sort of a crap-shoot worth giving the dice a roll.

Of course, in my case, the failed drives were definitely failed drives that wouldn't work in anything except maybe intermittently.
Message 21 of 23
PapaBear1
Guide

I was trying to point out that I had three identical drives, two purchased and installed together and the third purchased after one failed terminally in less than 30 days. The two good drives ran flawlessly after the third was RMA's to Seagate and replaced with a larger drive. I have had one drive rejected by my NV+ because it was "too small" although it's twin was accepted. The rejected drive was used for years in other service.

My point is that I would reject an entire set for future service after the apparent failure of one drive. If I had done that I would have at least a dozen drives sitting around idle that are perfectly good.
Message 22 of 23
dchang0
Aspirant

Ah, I see what you mean.

Yeah, I've seen the "too small" error with an identically-sized drive. It happened to me today while testing and building out the set of four 750GB drives. Two were hard failures (refused to spin up). One turned out to be the strange GPT protective partition that caused the ReadyNAS to report a mere 8MB free; it was easily cleared using the Windows diskpart command, and the drive was thereafter perfectly usable in the ReadyNAS.
Message 23 of 23
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 22 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements