× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How to point to the shares html

michelefaccini
Aspirant

How to point to the shares html

Hi,I'm hosting my web site from my ReadyNas Ultra 2; in my index page I want to add a navigation button which allows user to access to his/her private share.I know the shares.html is under frontview/ui/resource/html/.Bellow is my menu navigation list....how can I add a link to shares ?

<div id="mainNav">
<ul>
<li><a href="home.php" class="current">Home</a></li>
<li><a href="pictures.php">Pictures</a></li>
<li><a href="my computer.php">My computer</a></li>
<li><a href="my videos.htm">My videos</a></li>
<li><a href="under construction.htm">Music</a></li>
<li><a href="movies.html">Movies</a></li>
<li><a href="my favorite sites.html">My favorite Sites</a></li>
<li><a href="under construction.htm">Comics</a></li>
Message 1 of 7
sphardy1
Apprentice

Re: How to point to the shares html

Private shares (ie Home shares) are not accessible via HTTP - and no, there is no way to change this unless you start to hack your ReadyNAS
Message 2 of 7
michelefaccini
Aspirant

What do you mean with starting to hack the ReadyNas....I visited your site and saw there's a private section....In fact I want everybody to visit my site...this is done by redirecting the http service to my site folder, but from there I need my private users (sisters,brother,friends...) to be able to click a navigation button and enter their private folders,of course, after an identification access.
Message 3 of 7
sphardy1
Apprentice

michelefaccini wrote:
I need my private users (sisters,brother,friends...) to be able to click a navigation button and enter their private folders,of course, after an identification access.

Again, that is not possible via HTTP. Home shares are configured such that then can only be accessed via the user that owns them and only via CIFS, AFP or FTP. Remember that your NAS is first and foremost a storage device intended for local storage. It has remote access capabilities but these are limited.

With that in mind there are 6 main options I can think of:

1. "Hacking" the NAS to allow access to the Home Shares
This would involve manually (ie via SSH) 1) enabling HTTP access to the home shares and 2) relaxing the permissions on home shares to allow the web server access. I'd strongly discourage this as you *will* run into permissions issues - I strongly suspect this is the primary reason why HTTP access to Home Shares is not supported in the first place.

2. Avoid using Home Shares
Create a new standard share per person and configure each appropriately. Note that there are possible side effects to this method that you may not be happy with

eg if you have a user called "fred", create a share called "fred_http", ensure the HTTP access is enabled to the share and only "fred" has access rights and then include a link on your site to http://<domain_name>/fred_http (or create a script that implements the redirection if you're so inclined)

3. Use FTP instead of HTTP
For the user fred, the home share would be accessible as ftp://fred@<domain_name>/homes/fred - and the user would be prompted for login credentials. The downside is that FTP support varies between browsers and is, in general, limited. Your users would typically be better off using an FTP client

4. Use a content management system
As suggested to you previously - there are CMS' that implement this type of capability for you, but which to use will depend entirely on what you are trying to achieve. (FYI - this is how I implement my "Private" area of my web site that you refer to - but it is NOT granting access to the Home Shares)

5. Reassess your Requirements
Do all of your users really need to be able to access totally private shares both locally (eg via CIFS) and remotely (via HTTP)? Are you making this more complicated that it needs to be?

6. Consider Alternatives
If the answer to 5 is "No" - then you might consider simply using your NAS for storage and implementing another server (on different hardware) such that you can install whatever software you wish and control access however you decide, and not be subject to the limitations of the ReadyNAS
Message 4 of 7
StephenB
Guru

Is ReadyNas Remote an alternative for off-site access?
Message 5 of 7
michelefaccini
Aspirant

First of all, thanks a lot for the time you spent answering me. You're right saying I'm making it more complicated as it should be. It's due, as you can easily suspect, to my non experience. I hope I won’t discourage you….what can of CMS did you use ?
Message 6 of 7
sphardy1
Apprentice

I use 2 CMS as they have 2 quite different functionalities.

1. Wordpress - this is the foundation of my website. Very customisable with lots of plugins available. Not difficult to use but the huge array of options means it may take a new user a little while to get the site configured exactly as needed. I'd recommend having 2 installations with one being private & dedicated to trying out new ideas

2. Ajaxplorer - effectively a GUI based filemanager so that users can share files. Looks and works like file managers most people are familiar with which makes it easy to use. It can be setup to leverage your NAS user accounts also, so becomes a good alternative to using an FTP client (ie you get full NAS access via a browser without without users needing to install anything - it's the type of functionality I'd like to see Netgear integrate into their future firmware)

You can see Ajaxplorer in action here: https://sphardy.com/explorer
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements